Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Housing

alan huth

Reaction score
Hello all. Just a brief note and only(for now) on how I house my salamanders, all common, to a more or lesser extent, to the eastern U.S. I use huge containers that I purchase from Lowe's stores originally meant to be used as garden ponds or as water fountain ponds.No doubt various larger and smaller sizes are available. My standard size is the five foot by nine foot with about a three foot average depth. I fill them in with rocks,plants,moss,soil,bark,tree limbs,branches,twigs,leaves,etc. Then I place screening on top of the containers and then fasten the screening to the sides with clothesline pins and binder clips. I use grow lights that hang down from (in my case) the low ceiling. The salamanders often escape and I round them all up eventually and place them back inside. All containers have been modified with miniature drainage holes and placed on top of concrete blocks. All in the basement of our house. They grow and breed quickly. Evidently with no predation and a good natural supply of small invertebrates, along with my tossing in tiny earthworms on a regular basis, they are happy and must feel they are in a natural setting. Temperature is never higher than 75 F and never lower than 54 F. They are seen when the lights go off at night and at other times when I can diminish lights or must maintain their surroundings. That's all for now. One more note. The containers have been built up with rocks,bark, and tree limbs so the effective space is much larger and deeper than when empty.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. :)
It sounds like your set up works very well, it would be nice to see some pics!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1