Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Weird horn thing growing on tail

Kirzzin

Reaction score
They are about 5 months old now, and my Lucifer had a strange bend in his tail and the other two don't. Today I noticed there was a horn looking thing growing out of it. Should I be alarmed?? Water temperature is always kept constant under 20 they are fed once a day with newt pellets and blood worms..

hard to get pictures of him, he's always on the go, especially during feeding time hahaha

IMG7831.jpg

IMG7872.jpg

IMG7857.jpg

Skudo09

Reaction score
I can't really see the growth on his tail too clearly but it kind of looks like his tail was damaged and it is a bit of his tail hanging off or healed oddly. Check your parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH and ensure good water quaity. Is your tank cycled?

auntiejude

Reaction score
I believe this is a finger. Or at least a little finger-like growth where there has been a minor injury. It happens sometimes, nothing to worry about.

Kirzzin

Reaction score
I believe this is a finger. Or at least a little finger-like growth where there has been a minor injury. It happens sometimes, nothing to worry about.

Thank you so much! That's what I told my boyfriend! It felt like a finger growing out. I feel relieved : ):happy::happy:

JustKenna

Reaction score
My 2 year old axie has one too, when I got him they lady hadn't kept him and his siblings separate so they had eaten parts off each other so I think it might be from him healing. I've always kind of liked it, a small imperfection like a mole. Nothing to be concerned about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!