Extremely swollen axolotl

TL555

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Hi there. Around a week ago my axolotl started putting on some weight, he'd always been naturally big so I didn't think much of it. Last night I looked at him and his neck and limbs have become swollen as well, he can barely move. He also appears to have some red growths that weren't there a few days ago, which I assume is fungus.

Tank size: 25L
Two axolotls (the other one doesn't have any of these problems)
Cycled and I change 25% of the water weekly
Diet consists primarily of pellets, I feed them every 2 or 3 days
Water temperature sits around 18-20C, which I assume is the cause of the fungus.
Tank had a number of large stones, most were much bigger than the axolotl's head but I've just removed any which it could potentially have swallowed.

Further info: he isn't floating, so I don't think it's a gas buildup causing the bloating. My first instinct was that he swallowed a pebble, but I'm not sure how that could have caused his limbs and head to inflate.

I have given him a salt bath and am now storing him in the fridge for at least a week. Is there any more information anyone could give to help? There are no vets nearby that would have any clue about how to treat an axolotl, unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG_20151129_194303.jpg
    IMG_20151129_194303.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 44,651
  • IMG_20151129_194314.jpg
    IMG_20151129_194314.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 3,449
This axie is suffering from bloat. It can be caused by a number of things, but it is usually kidney or liver dysfunction causing water retention.

You need to get this axie to a vet ASAP, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

This axie is suffering from bloat. It can be caused by a number of things, but it is usually kidney or liver dysfunction causing water retention.

You need to get this axie to a vet ASAP, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Do you think it's a lost cause, then?

Get him to a vet asap. This is his best chance. Stop the salt baths as this will not be helping him. Fungus appears as whit fluffy growth (cotton wool like).

25litres is really quite small even for one axolotl. Have you considered upgrading your tank?

Get him to a vet asap. This is his best chance. Stop the salt baths as this will not be helping him. Fungus appears as whit fluffy growth (cotton wool like).

25litres is really quite small even for one axolotl. Have you considered upgrading your tank?

Apologies, I meant 25 gallons. The tank is massive :p

There was some white fluffy growth on his gill wound, which is why I assumed it was fungus. I also read on this site that salt baths were a good treatment for fluid retention.

I'm planning to try the vet tomorrow but I'm not sure they've ever dealt with axolotls. I'll let you know what they say.

Oh good I was hoping it was a typo and you meant gallons :)

I may have misunderstood your post a little as I thought you were referring to redness for the salt baths rather than fungus. I can't see any fungus from the photo but you do make a good point about salt baths and fluid retention. However I think veterinary attention is ultimately needed and for my understanding salt bathes for these cases are usually advised under veterinary direction and in conjunction with other treatments such as antibiotics. But it may have some benefit until you can get to the vet. Although, maybe more experienced members could confirm whether it would be advisable to continue salt baths?

To echo auntie Jude....... I had two brothers who went the same way.........diagnosed with kidney issues and nothing could be done. I wouldn't worry about tank, water etc....just get a diagnosis......but sadly doesn't look good....sorry

To echo auntie Jude....... I had two brothers who went the same way.........diagnosed with kidney issues and nothing could be done. I wouldn't worry about tank, water etc....just get a diagnosis......but sadly doesn't look good....sorry

I understand. In the event it passes, what can be done to prevent this in future? Is it simply bad luck or can stress be a contributing factor?

Sorry to doublepost. I got in touch with the vet today who confirmed it was a buildup of fluid, but was unable to confirm if the cause was organ failure or not. The sudden fungal infection is likely due to high levels of stress from the axolotl bloating slowly over the last week. The animal's condition has deteriorated today as more red marks have appeared on its body, especially the toes.

I am going to try giving it a treatment of antibiotics and salt baths while fridging for the next day or so but if the swelling hasn't improved by then I think it would be best if I buy clove oil and euthanise the little guy humanely. I have been given the impression here and on reading several sites that fluid retention is a death sentence and I would only be wasting money and prolonging the animal's suffering if I subject it to constant vet visits.

I hope I will have good news but otherwise thank you everyone for the advice.

I think it's mostly genetic in these cases. How old is your axi?
Mine , although brothers, lived in different tanks, with a friend each!
They developed symptoms almost simultaneously at 7-8 years old. A further brother, and a sister....appear to show no similar symptoms at all and are healthy and active.

I think it's mostly genetic in these cases. How old is your axi?
Mine , although brothers, lived in different tanks, with a friend each!
They developed symptoms almost simultaneously at 7-8 years old. A further brother, and a sister....appear to show no similar symptoms at all and are healthy and active.

It's just coming up on 2 years old. Its brother is the same age but isn't showing any symptoms. The sick one started getting noticeably bigger than the other a few months ago, but I'd just assumed it was simply because it ate more. The weight was mostly consistent until it just ballooned out of nowhere three days ago.

It is not looking good. From the sound of the redness, he could be facing septicaemia. I am sorry that your axolotl is so unwell. There may not be a great deal you can do for him and if he doesn't respond to the antibiotics and salt baths I agree it may be kinder to humanely euthanase him.

As of this morning his swelling has gone down noticeably and he's been a little more active, and the fungus on his gill has fallen off. However, the redness still remains. You're right that it might be septicaemia - if it helps, there are two symmetrical red patches just below his neck, around the chest area. I have no idea what that might mean though.

I have been following a recommended treatment of keeping the axolotl submersed in water treated very lightly with aquarium salt so it matches the animal's blood sodium levels. I've decided to reduce the amount of salt I'm using even further though just in case it's contributing to the redness. If it continues to worsen regardless then I'll resort to euthanasia.

That is positive that the swelling has gone down. See how he goes and see if the redness does clear.

Final update. Swelling and redness had gone down, but as of this afternoon I noticed the symmetrical red marks on the chest have gradually been turning black. I am almost sure this indicates organ failure, probably of the lungs, but regardless it looked painful. I took the immediate decision to euthanise the axolotl by anasthetising it in clove oil and immersing it in an alchohol bath 15 minutes later.

Thank you for everyone who gave advice. I am sad it came to this but I can only hope this story serves to help someone else.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back