Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How can I tell if I feed my Axolotl too much?

mushutheaxie

Reaction score
Back story: about two weeks ago I got my first axolotl who I named Mushu from a local exotic pet store. He is young (unaware of exactly how young though, and the owner of the pet store had no idea either) and obviously still has a lot of growing to do. I know when they are younger its ok to feed them more often than you would an adult, but how can I tell if I'm feeding Mushu TOO much?

The only reason I ask is because I see him floating at the surface sometimes (not struggling or trying to swim down, just floating there) and I don't want it to be because he is being overfed (I know fish who are overfed have a hard time swimming, I'm unaware if this applies to all aquatic species). Also, his belly seems to be a little fat. He acts healthy, swims a lot, is very active and happily eats any and every time I offer him food. But I just don't want to be overdoing it! I've been feeding him once daily since I've gotten him. The food varies from brine shrimp, blood worms, and beefheart. I would love to give him earthworms but he seems much too small for that still.

Here's some pics I took of his belly the day I noticed him floating.
IMG_6951.jpg IMG_6964.jpg
* Side note, the man I purchased him from recommended I use a sponge filter while he's young, is that ok or should I use something better? He's currently in a 10 gallon tank, I keep his water very cold, doing very small water changes every few days, and he has a glass bottom with a sponge filter.

Sorry for all the questions! I just want to make sure I do everything right! Also there is some discoloration on the outside of his tank but his water is very clean, I don't want the pics to make it appear as if he is in a dirty tank!

Last edited:

headFeed

Reaction score
What are you feeding mushu and how much?

I've read that baby axolotls tend to float more than adults. Either from gulping up a lot of air or from indigestion, if your axy isn't floating a lot, or gulping for air a lot, then you should just keep an eye on it for now.
Also a sponge filter is fine for babies and adults! Just as long as it's the right size for the 10 gal, which I would suggest you upgrade it to a 20 when you can.

Another thing, I'm not sure if I'm seeing this right but how high up are you filling the tank? You can fill the tank up with more water, your axy will be able to swim up just fine for air.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score

mushutheaxie

Reaction score
What are you feeding mushu and how much?

I've read that baby axolotls tend to float more than adults. Either from gulping up a lot of air or from indigestion, if your axy isn't floating a lot, or gulping for air a lot, then you should just keep an eye on it for now.
Also a sponge filter is fine for babies and adults! Just as long as it's the right size for the 10 gal, which I would suggest you upgrade it to a 20 when you can.

Another thing, I'm not sure if I'm seeing this right but how high up are you filling the tank? You can fill the tank up with more water, your axy will be able to swim up just fine for air.

Every day, once a day, he gets either a few bloodworms (4-6), half a cube of brine shrimp, or a mix of about 2-3 bloodworms and a small amount of beefheart. Funny enough, some people are now saying he might need MORE food than I am giving him. Everyone seems to think differently so it's hard to get a solid answer.

His tank is filled to about 3-5 inches away from the top. I was definitely going to put him in a 20 when he gets a little bigger. I work at a pet store so it's not a problem at all for me to buy anything he needs. Is there something better than a sponge filter that I should use in the future for him?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Bloodworms and brineshrimp are not the most nutritionally complete diet. Worms are the most nutritious and will benefit your Axolotl much more, also certain pellets that have the correct nutritional content are good for feeding along side worms. I use a brand of pellets called JBL Novolotl. Beef heart is a food that a lot of people don't agree on, it's not exactly a natural food since Axolotls don't eat cows, but could potentially could be fed as a treat once in a while.

Read these links on foods and their nutritional content:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods2.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml
http://www.axolotl.org/feeding.htm

I feed my juvenile once or twice a day with upto 2 worms cut into peices and some pellets. Axolotls tend to refuse food after eating too much or will spit it out.

There are a lot of filters that you can use, I use a submersible filter which I've had no issues with, read more from this link: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml
Just make sure the filter is the right size for your tank so it has the capacity to filter well.

mushutheaxie

Reaction score
Bloodworms and brineshrimp are not the most nutritionally complete diet. Worms are the most nutritious and will benefit your Axolotl much more, also certain pellets that have the correct nutritional content are good for feeding along side worms. I use a brand of pellets called JBL Novolotl. Beef heart is a food that a lot of people don't agree on, it's not exactly a natural food since Axolotls don't eat cows, but could potentially could be fed as a treat once in a while.

Read these links on foods and their nutritional content:
Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values
Caudata Culture Articles - Worms
Axolotls - Feeding

I feed my juvenile once or twice a day with upto 2 worms cut into peices and some pellets. Axolotls tend to refuse food after eating too much or will spit it out.

There are a lot of filters that you can use, I use a submersible filter which I've had no issues with, read more from this link: Caudata Culture Articles - Filters
Just make sure the filter is the right size for your tank so it has the capacity to filter well.

thank you! I'll back off the beefheart for sure and look into different kinds of worms. My only concern was that he was too small for them, but I'm assuming I can chop them up and they'll still accept them.

Also, is floating a lot on the surface a sign of being overfed, or is it the opposite and that he is hungry? He doesnt seem to have any problem swimming to the bottom of his tank or anything, but almost all day today he chose to stay at the surface, floating. Is this normal behavior?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Could you post the parameters of your water? (Ammonia, Nitrites, NitrAtes, PH)

Are you aware about aquarium cycling?

There is a chance your Axolotls floating due to poor water quality. I noticed in your other posts that your concerned about his gills/fimbriae not being very full or healthy.

This is most likely due to the quality of your water.

Your Axolotl requires healthy water in order to survive and be healthy itself. You will need to become familiar with the 'Nitrogen Cycle'.

For your tank to be cycled, a beneficial bacteria needs to be present to break down the Ammonia and Nitrites into NitrAtes. Ammonia and Nitrites are lethal to Axolotl and are produced from your Axolotls waste and decomposing food. NitrAtes are a less toxic by product. During cycling the beneficial bacteria will colonize your tanks surfaces such as substrate, ornaments, filter, and begin to feed on the Ammonia turning it into Nitrites, then bacteria will break down the Nitrites into NitrAtes. The bacteria is known as a biofilter, as it filters the Ammonia and Nitrites into less harmful NitrAtes.

To test for these toxins you will need a test kit, I recommend this: Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT You can purchase it off Amazon.

Read these websites on water quality and cycling:
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Beginner FAQ: The Nitrogen Cycle

Cycling your tank and maintaining your cycle is very important for your Axolotl to live a long healthy life.

You can always ask questions if you have any doubts, Good Luck ;)

Monkeybeth

Reaction score
I would definitely recommend using some pellets because they have more rounded nutrients. I used salamander pellets from petco, they are like 4 dollars for a container. As for quantity of food, feed him till he no longer wants to eat (I fed my axolotls anywhere from 15-30 pellets). For the floating it sounds like you have gotten some good advice about that :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!