Is this a fungal infection?

Kinn

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Darwin
I just wanted to check before I started treating with salt baths.

WIN_20151204_18_01_38_Pro_zpsvay5h7pi.jpg

This is the best picture I could get unfortunately, it's the very translucent film between the inner two gills on the left side.
It's not white, like this stuff is often described, it's clear. Looks like a slimey fuzz though. I think I may have noticed this stuff floating in the tank when I am kicking up the tank during spot cleaning or water changes. Could this just be her 'shedding' her slime coat? She's acting normal otherwise, great feeding response as usual.

If it is, should I fridge her as well or could I get by, by treating this just by daily salt baths?
Do I just give the baths until the film is no longer visible or should I be going for be going for a certain length of time?

Thanks everyone.

I think what happened here is that I left a little too much time between water changes, and the water perimeters were no longer ideal, I'm usually on top of that stuff but I got busy with finals unfortunately. :( Working on a good clean of that tank as we speak.

Update: Just finished checking all the water perimeters, it was as I suspected, the tank got all messed up since I wasn't as proactive with the weekly water changes.

(by the way, temp is around 18C)

pH 6.0
Ammonia 1-2pm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 40-80ppm

Looks like my tank needs to cycle again, that sucks, it's been perfectly cycled for years now.
I'm glad I caught it relatively early though.
Would 20% water changes daily do the trick for a 10inch axie in a 20 gallon long? I forget, approximately how long does it take for cycles to stabilize again?

I've been doing reading around here, looks like my axie doesn't have a fungal infection, however she is shedding her slime coat.
I've never noticed her do this before, certainly not the the degree I'm seeing right now.
I do use stress coat+ with all my water changes so hopefully that will help.
Anything else I can do for her while she sheds?

Time for it to become stable again will probably depend on how messed up it actually is. It looks like there is still nitrate being formed so it isn't completely starting over from scratch. I halfway messed up a 10 gallon with a small juvenile in it and it took 2 months for it to stabilize completely.

My advice would be to test daily (or possibly twice a day if you are super worried) and change as needed. When I first started with my situation I started off checking twice a day and changing +25% every day. After a month it dropped to -15% change every other day and tests once a day before it stabilized.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your input!

I checked the perimeters before tonight's water change, pH, Nitrite, and Nitrate are all the same. Ammonia looks lower already, before it was somewhere between the 1ppm and 2ppm colour, but now it's a definite 1ppm, possibly somewhere between 0.50 and 1.

The shed situation seems to be finished as well, I don't see any more slime on her or floating in the tank.

Last night and tonight I added Seachem Stability to try and help get the cycle on track.
The bottle mentions to use it with every time I do a water change, do you guys think I should continue doing so until my cycle's stable again? Or should I only use it a couple times?

Thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back