Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worried for my tiger salamnder

shastcola5

Reaction score
About a week ago i got a small tiger salamnder from a friend that decided they no longer wanted him/she. When they gave him to me he was really thin and constantly snapping at any movement and my hands when i tried to feed him. Also when i had got him they had him in a small bowl that he couldnt get out off in a ten gallon tank and from what i know he wasnt feed withen 4_5 days. I had moved him into a biger tank with more hidding spots n fresh water n food daily. He has slowly started to get used to me n rubs his head on my hand when i feed him but if any one else get close to his tank or trts to pet him he snaps. He also likes to stay in the water i have in his tank Is this sometheing i should be worried about?

Tiger mom Tammy

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Glad you were able to take care of it. When we adopted/rescued both of ours, I was told they hadn't been feed for over a week, but after we took them in they were fine. As for the snapping/lunging its a trait of tigers to do that (everything moving is food) As for cruzing in the water dish, some tigers (like mine) spend time in the water while others don't like water much. Some will go just to do a #2 in there or to cool off if its too hot or shed. Nothing to worry about. Would love to see pictures if possible and the set up. Hope this helps some.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1