Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plants safe for FB Newts?

Ronathan

Reaction score
Hi, I ordered some FireBelly newts that'll be here on Wednesday, and my mom suggested I put some vines in their tank. We have lots of pothos growing all around our house, and I was wondering if that was safe to grow in the tank? Also, if you have any suggestions for easy to grow tank plants, leave them below!
Thanks!

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have grown pothos vines in newt tanks, but you need to be sure that no chemicals have been used on the cuttings prior to putting them in with your animals. Any fertilizers, pesticides, etc, will be very harmful to any newt, let alone new imports (if yours are not captive bred). Even if the cuttings are from plants that you personally do not use chemicals on, I would not use the cuttings if the plant had not been in my possession for many months, as I am sure commercial greenhouses douse their products in plenty of chemicals prior to sell. It just would not be worth the risk.

The pothos did OK for me in low light and low temps while in the newt tank, but never did great. Chinese firebellies really benefit from habitats crammed full of live plants - they like the security that the overgrowth affords them, and the plants aide in achieving good water quality. I have had good luck with elodea, which I have purchased from local Petsmarts. My local store sells them in bunches for pretty inexpensive, and these plants do well in the conditions newts need - cool temps, still water, and relatively low lights. They also can be left free floating and do not need CO2 injection to do well.

Regardless of what plants you decide to use, you will need a light source for them, and get more than what you think you will need - the newts will benefit from all the foliage and I know I have been surprised by how many plants it takes to fill even a 10 gallon aquarium.

Good luck! If you have not already done so, take several hours (days, even) and browse the site - there is so much you can learn and your animals will only benefit from all the knowledge you will have gained :)

HJ

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1