Question: 9 month old feeding advice

ZHD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! My Axolotl Cosmo is about 9 months old now and around 9 to 10 inches long, I would estimate.

His diet has consisted of primarily Nightcrawler earthworms. I have been giving a half a worm, which is about 2.5 inches (6.35cm) long and about half as thick as a pencil, once a day skipping every 3rd day. I have seen other places stating he should probably be feed only once every 3 to for 4 day, but I am not sure if that is when feeding with comet gold fish, or even just more worm.

I am I over/under feeding him. Do I need to give him a more varied diet, other then the occasionally frozen krill?I would appreciate any input for more experienced owners.

Axies don't need that much variation in their diet - worms every day are great. Axies under a year generally can be fed daily as much as they will take, after a year you can feed less often or less in quantity, but aim to keep their belly as wide as their head.

Goldfish are not a good food - they have an enzyme called thiaminase that can cause vit B deficiency. Guppies. mollies or white clous minnows are the best feeder fish. Live ghost or river shrimp are great 'enrichment' food as axies like to chase them and they can be found quite cheaply.

If you choose to feed every few days you will have to feed a big meal, I personally find that if I'm feeding youngsters every day then I might as well feed everyone every day and control the amount. But with one axie you can choose how often to feed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back