Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: New Juvenile axolotl sick (New to the forums)

Wilsonhk

Reaction score
I was at the local pet store the other day when I say this poor baby axolotl floating at the top. He looked awful so I decided to rescue him and try to nurse him back to health.
He had all four legs and his gills eaten off and since has started to grow them back. His sibling I rescued at the same time is doing fine now, but he’s still doing very poorly. He can’t stay down at the bottom of his small container and as of two nights ago he stopped eating and threw up some of the stuff in his stomach. (I’ve tried small worms and frozen blood worms… he was eating the blood worms just fine for a day or two..) He’s not pooping anymore either. I’ve tried to lower his water temp, but it doesn’t seem to be helping much. Is there anything else I should be doing? I really don’t think he’s going to make it right now. I should also note, they’re in separate containers that are bare bottom.

HeidiP

Reaction score
Re: New Juvenal axolotl sick (New to the forums)

They float when stressed, what is your tank temp?
Fridging him will allow his to release air bubbles. Hope he is still ok?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score

Are you using dechlorinated water?

Make sure to change 100% of the water everyday so that the water quality is right for healing. The water temp needs to be around 16-18 degrees Celsius or lower.

Putting your Axolotl in the fridge aids the healing process but slows metabolism and generally stops them eating, so you want to make sure your Axolotl isn't undernourished before it goes in the fridge.

Fridge guide: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f58-sick-axolotl/85263-axolotl-fridging-guide.html

Can you post some pictures so we can see the weight and condition of the Axolotls ?

Blood worms aren't very nutritional, you said you tried small worms, what type of worms are they?

It might be worth buying some quality small pellets which have the right nutritional content, I use: https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=products&func=detail&id=4996

Read these articles for more information housing and water quality:
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

Wilsonhk

Reaction score

They float when stressed, what is your tank temp?
Fridging him will allow his to release air bubbles. Hope he is still ok?

I typically keep my tank at 18 c° however hos I've been rrying to keep at 15 just to make life easier for him. I guess I'm nervous about fridging him cause he's only about an inch and a half. He's still alive... he finally pooped again though! Still won't take food...

Wilsonhk

Reaction score

Are you using dechlorinated water?

Make sure to change 100% of the water everyday so that the water quality is right for healing. The water temp needs to be around 16-18 degrees Celsius or lower.

Putting your Axolotl in the fridge aids the healing process but slows metabolism and generally stops them eating, so you want to make sure your Axolotl isn't undernourished before it goes in the fridge.

Fridge guide: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f58-sick-axolotl/85263-axolotl-fridging-guide.html

Can you post some pictures so we can see the weight and condition of the Axolotls ?

Blood worms aren't very nutritional, you said you tried small worms, what type of worms are they?

It might be worth buying some quality small pellets which have the right nutritional content, I use: https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=products&func=detail&id=4996

Read these articles for more information housing and water quality:
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

I'll post picture asap. I use tap water since It come from a well. It has no additives, but i do treat it due to a high ph level. Nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are all not detectable through water tests. I've tried the typical black worms that the store advises, just been doing bloodworms because they wouldn't eat the other. Is it likely that he'll eat the pelletes even though he won't eat anything right now? He does look rather undernourished... but with a full stomach? Could he have gotten sand stuck in his digestive track when he was at the pet store? Would that be doing this?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Since your Axolotl is in a container and not a cycled tank, make sure you change the water 100% everyday so not to develop fungus and to allow the best conditions for healing. I've heard of cases where well water can contain all sorts due to contamination. Dechlornator is probably still a good idea. Read this thread which gives details on well water: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f58-sick-axolotl/98631-well-water-making-axolotls-abnormal.html

You can get some pellets but Axolotl are usually far more enthusiastic about moving live food, although when you drop pellets in front of their heads they will usually snap at the movement.

Sand shouldn't pose a problem unless the store fed him directly on the sand all the time, in which case he potentially could have ingested a lot of sand.

It seems because of his condition of no gills or limbs he's struggling to eat because of his current health. Be persistent with feeding and change 100% of the eater everyday and keep him cool.

Post the pictures so we can get an idea of his current condition.

Wilsonhk

Reaction score
Sorry for the long delay. Finals at school are killing me. This is mo. He's been eating the last few days, but not much. I've been doing the 100% water changes everyday and he seems to like that. He's also pooping. Unfortunately he is still floating. I've been keeping his temp down and light levels down too. I've also been closely watching the water levels to make sure he has the best water i can possibly give him.

Attachments

• 20151210_183737.jpg
    20151210_183737.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 265
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1