Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lacealotl and a tank seperater

Asteck

Reaction score
I have a 20 long that my axolotl sir lancealotl has been living happily. I recently decided to get him a friend and due to the size difference have put in a tank separator. I woke up this morning to him raming into it over and over. He stopped when I moved it to the end of the tank. I would really like to put them in the same tank saying I do not really have room for two tanks. My new pet should be arriving either today or tomorrow. For the time being I have a small empty cycled tank that I can put him in but its only about a L vs the 20 Gal.

Any advice on how to put the septerator in that doesn't hurt my baby would be great.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Can you post an image of your tank/separator? Its odd that he's ramming into it over and over again. He should just get used to it eventually so maybe wait a bit longer and don't remove the separator?

Asteck

Reaction score
It is still in the tank, just pushed over to a corner, he is no longer running into it. I think it may have stressed him out, he has lost most of the color in his gills and isn't coming out of his hide.

I tried to add the attachment, but I am not sure that it is attached. The seperator is see though with small holes, it is store bought not home made.

When I woke up he was running into the seperator I waited an additional 20 minutes to see if he would calm down, but he wouldn't stop going from one side of the tank swimming as fast as he could and running into the seperator.

I was thinking about just moving it a half an inch towards his side of the tank every few days and hoping he would get used to it.

Attachments

• WIN_20151210_09_29_39_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20151210_09_29_39_Pro.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 103

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Can you take some pictures of your Axolotl, its odd that he's loosing color from only his gills specifically.

I'd just put the separator in and leave it where you wanted it originally (half way i presume) and leave him to get on with it. I'm sure it can't cause any stress.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1