Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Needed a bit or should I say a lot of help with cycling.

axoltlmad123

Reaction score
Okay so ... Harley is looking a bit better . I have been doing daily 100 percent water changes on his tub but think it is now time to cycle his tank . Is there a filter that will do this quickest /easiest . I don't have a tank that I can take anything out of as I can't guarantee the fish tanks in my house are disease free as recently the fish have started dying for some reason (water levels are fine. ) so would a sponge filter be any good? Or would a different one be better . Harley will be in a fish tank . Stardust and lottie will be in two 20 litre storage containers. I'm buying everything needed tomorrow. I would like to get it done as quickly as possible. I know there is no short cut to cycling believe me I have tried cycling and failed every time. I need to know everything. I will be using a pi stress coat plus added aloe Vera as I swear that is amazing stuff. What ammonia should I use. What should I feed the ammonia. When do I add things . I need a complete run down on cycling. Are there any bacteria I can add which will speed it up a little. Will live plants speed it up at all .. thank you. And please quick answers it's 5 past 4 in the morning and I'll be going out in a few hours when the shops open .

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
What size is the new tank Harley will be in? I use a submersible filter which works well, you just need to make sure you get the right sized filter to be able to cope with the volume of water to allow the best filtration.

You will need a test kit to monitor your nitrogen cycle, because you have to check for levels of Ammonia, Nitrites, and NitrAtes. A lot of users on this forum use and recommend this test kit including myself: Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT These liquid test kits are far more reliable that the test strip versions. You can purchase the above from Amazon.

The cycling process can take from 3-6 weeks. For your tank to be cycled, a beneficial bacteria needs to be present to break down the Ammonia and Nitrites into Nitrates. Ammonia and Nitrites are lethal to Axolotl and are produced from your Axolotls waste and decomposing food. Nitrates are a less toxic by product. During cycling the beneficial bacteria will colonize your tanks surfaces such as substrate, ornaments, filter, and begin to feed on the Ammonia turning it into Nitrites, then bacteria will break down the Nitrites into Nitrates. The bacteria is known as a biofilter, as it filters the ammonia and nitrites into less harmful nitrates.

For info on Ammonia sources, 'fish-in cycles' or 'fish-less cycles' see the bellow links.

You can read up on the cycling process and the steps to take from these articles:
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
How to Cycle a Fish Tank

Adding bottled bacteria is controversial and seems to be hit and miss. I'd just cycle naturally.

Live plants will aid the cycling process, by feeding on NitrAtes to keep it under control, partial water changes will manage the NitrAte levels as well. Plants will also give a more natural environment to your Axolotl as well as creating cover.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1