Illness/Sickness: Axolotl in Shock?

Nienora

Reaction score
Country
United States
I walked by my juvenile leucistic aquarium and noticed my little, Kink, was completely white. I fed them approximately 4 hours ago. He was pink, alert, swimming around, and accepting hand feeding. He is actively moving his gills every 10 seconds. He's acting normal apart from the fact that he's white! I removed him from the tank and put him in a small quarantine tank with fresh, decholorinated water. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3432.jpg
    IMG_3432.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_3433.jpg
    IMG_3433.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_3434.jpg
    IMG_3434.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 368
He just ate some tubifex worms and pooped and yet he is still extremely pale. Has anyone experience this with one of their axies before?

I thought albino or Leucistic ones WERE white !?!?!?!

Doesn't look like a proper white, seems a bit yellowish.

Leucistic are usually a very distinguishable white.

Not sure whats happend with this one!

Hmm he is quite pale. It is possible he could be anaemic, What water source do you use and do you know the hardness of your water? Soft water is known to cause axolotls to show signs of anaemia. Also do you notice his colour returns when he is more active?

He actually pinked back up within an hour of the original post. I have no idea what caused it, but he's back to his normal self. Darn, Kink, you scare me!

I've heard Leucys do occasionally look pale when they're asleep or relaxed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back