Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: New Axy Owner

Severance

Reaction score
Hello everyone. So I ave my first Axy--a 3-4inch juvenile. I just started feeding him blood worms (thawed from frozen packets). Unfortunately no matter how much a try to guide him to his food bowl, he doesn't seem to want to find it.

I don't want to leave the food in the tank too long so it won't foul the water. Anyone have any tips to help him find his new home's food bowl?

Thanks!

Also, he seems a bit too small at the moment to run my filter? I use a Tetra Whisper small cartridge one. Will he be okay if I run it? I have the water filled up to just below the spout to reduce water flow.

Last edited:

Skudo09

Reaction score
At that size you can probably start feeding earthworms as these are a far more nutritious option than bloodworm. If the earthworms are too big you can cut them to smaller sizes. I find it easiest to hand feed earthworms but to get them to a bowl for feeding I have guided them with a bit of food or wiggle a finger to entice them to follow.

In regards to your filter, are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? It is very important to understand this process and how it affects aquatic life and how to establish the cycle safely. Below is a link on cycling

Scales Tails Wings and Things, What is Aquarium Cycling? How to Cycle your Tank

Your filter should be OK to have running. Make sure you have a liquid test kit (test strips are notorious for giving inaccurate results) for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH as well as a thermometer for temperature. You will need to monitor the parameters closely and perform frequent water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite at safe levels whilst your tank establishes the cycle (below 0.25ppm).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!