Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axolotl Just Died

NaterPotater

Reaction score
Philemon, my 9-month-old axolotl, just died. He had a fungal infection. He had two wounds, the tip of his tail and one of his feet, that I assume were from bites from his brother. One or two days after he got attacked, I noticed fuzzy-looking whiteness on his foot. I started treating the infection just about as soon as I possibly could have. I read about different options and decided to try a mild salt bath (since a lot of people say it works pretty well). I wanted to do all that I could, so I also bought some Pimafix (which I read was pretty safe and effective, especially since it's just a solution from the West Indian Bay Tree) and put like a teaspoon into the 40-gallon tank and like 4 drops in the quarantine tub I put him in. I was doing 10-minute salt baths once a day while I did 100% water changes in the quarantine tub. This started like 3 days ago. Unless I did something horribly wrong (I don't see how anything I did could have killed him), he died of a fungal infection in only 3 days. I feel really bad, and I feel really sad. I have two more axolotls arriving in about a week and a half. Now I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep them alive either. The only consolation is that Titus, the one who accidentally killed his brother, seems to be fine.

Before anyone asks, my water parameters are fine. No nitrite; a little bit of nitrate; pH of 7; temperature steady between 63 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

Skudo09

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear Philemon did not pull through his injuries. It may be that the infection was just too much for him or maybe there was secondary systemic bacterial infection going on as well. It is always difficult losing them :(.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1