My filter was just recalled

JordynG45

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just received a notice saying my Top Fin 10 gal filter with spray bar has been recalled due to a shock hazard. I have to tank the filter out and do a water change until I get a new one.

They are offering a refund and new filter for free but will this interfere with my cycle? I will be getting another filter either tomorrow morning or Monday morning. Has anyone been in this situation before? I'm a bit worried about my axie since he/she is still very young (roughly 3.5 inches) that bacteria or something could affect their health.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since most of the bacteria (good bacteria that make up the cycle) live in the filter medium yes it will most likely affect your cycle. Hopefully it won't completely crash it! The only things you should need to worry about are a build up of ammonia or nitrites if your cycle does indeed crash. Just keep testing the water conditions daily and doing water changes when needed from now until you get a new filter and the cycle gets going again.

Could you unplug the filter and just leave it sitting in the tank while the new filter is getting established?

Rinse the old filter media onto your new filters media, use tank water to do it. This will hopefully allow some of the bacteria to colonize the new media, you will also have bacteria on all the surfaces inside your tank so hopefully your cycle will keep itself going.

Just make sure you monitor you Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates everyday to see how the cycle is progressing. Perform water changes if the

Turning your filter off and leaving it in the tank will still kill the colony's of bacteria in the filter media after awhile.

All of the previous suggestions are great. When I have nervy times like this I use Polyfilter and Quick Start for extra peace of mind - while I know the effectiveness of Quick Start is debated, I do feel a little better knowing that it might help. I also cut a sliver of Polyfilter which absorbs excess ammonia if needed.

It might be worth doing a few extra water changes too if you are worried about your cycle crashing - if you empty about 20% of the tank a day and replace it with fresh dechlorinated water, you're cutting out a little of the ammonia for the bacteria to convert, which, at least in my own headcanon, should stop the cycle from crashing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back