Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Advice

Georgia19

Reaction score
Hello, were I live it is currently summer and my tank is reaching 24 degrease Celsius on a daily basis, and the temperature outside isn't at it's hottest. I am planing to get Axolotls in a few weeks but I need something to keep the tank cool, does anyone know a good chiller/fan with low sound, energy efficient and is around $150 which I could either buy online or in store? I also was wondering what water testers I should get for the tank? And is there any advice you can give me for the future.

Thank you in advance.
:)

Skudo09

Reaction score
Why don't you look for ice in stores and such

Ice won't be enough to effectively cool a tank from 24°C. It would also need the ice to be replenished very diligently which is not practical.

You could look at guppies online. They have clip on fans and also sell chillers. Chillers would be the ultimate solution but I am not sure what chiller would be a good one at that price range and guppys don't have any at that price. Unfortunately they are quite pricey. Here is the link anyway.

Chillers - Cooling & Heating | Guppy's Aquarium Products Online

You should invest in a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH. Don't bother with test strips as they tend to be inaccurate. Make sure you read up on aquarium cycling as this process is important to understand. Below is a link on cycling and also about doing a fishless cycle if you choose that method. Cycling can take weeks and potentially well over a month to establish a full cycle depending on whether you have seeded material you can include to speed up the process. However there is no instant method of cycling. It does take some time.

Scales Tails Wings and Things, What is Aquarium Cycling? How to Cycle your Tank

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Skudo09

Reaction score
I have two of those exact fans on my ~200L tank. They do work surprisingly well and will certainly help. You may need a bit more though on the very hot days but they definitely bring the temperature down so I would recommend them if you cannot get a chiller. They can be a bit noisy but it becomes white noise after a while.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1