Opinions

Fallenangel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So one of my male axies has been weird for a few days. His mouth is open a bit all the time, his back is arched and he just floats about like he's full of air. He also tends to float to one side aswell which is strange. To my knowledge nothing had happened to make him do this. He has one other male tank mate, the water perameters are fine, the water temp is fine and he's still eating. I feed them worms and brine shrimp. Im thinking he might just be a bit constipated? None of my axies poop very much! Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 156
Another of him

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 156
And another, i dont know why it insists on posting the photos the wrong way around!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 151
From the pictures it looks like he is bloated - puffy jaw, thick legs. Which is usually a sign of something bad - you need to get him to a vet for assessment and treatment. I would isolate him until you can see a vet.
But its only far to tell you that if it's been going on for a few days it may already be too late - the sooner you act the better the prognosis.

No vets here no anything about them :-( Im positive he's constipated. Ive had him in the fridge overnight, didnt help, kept him in there for 2 days, didnt help, so he's back in there now and hes staying until he's pooped. Each time i retured him to the tank he seemed a bit better then after a few hours he was back to floating about on his side with his mouth open. It cant be the tank coz my others are fine and ive been changing the water daily and testing it a few times a day also.
I fed him some brine shrimp the other day and he took the lot so he's still wanting food. Ive soley fed all my axies worms for 2 years and im beginning to think this could have caused this? Although my other 2 are fine. Ive began feeding them brine shrimp and worms, alternating them on feeding days. Im reluctant to feed him whilst he's like this but he's getting skinny already. I really am at a loss. What do i do!?

And is fridging the only thing i can do to help him poop?

I think Auntiejude might be correct in bloat. He does look quite puffy and it could be a sign of a bacterial infection which may need antibiotic treatment or organ failure. Veterinary treatment is the best option in this case. Have you got any vets that will at least take a look at him? They may be able to contact other vets to help determine best treatment options. Failing this do you have Furan 2? You could offer this treatment. It may not work in this case especially if he is too far gone or it is organ failure there is little you can do. But if you can't get him to a vet it may be worth a try.

Hows he doing?
I have a list of qualified UK vets if that's any help, just tell me where you are.

He's still the same! I had him in the fridge, he pooped and wasnt floating anymore so i put him back in the tank and an hour later he was back to the same. Ive tried tubbing him but that made him look even more ill so he's back in the fridge again. He cannot seem to keep himself upright, even though the water is just covering his back, always on his side and even on his back sometimes. I Hadnt fed him for 2 weeks and hes getting really skinny so gave him a few mouthfuls of brine shrimp just before i re-fridges him and he almost took my finger off with it. This is day 3 of the third fridging. Im in durham. Thanks.

Normally when fridged correctly an axie can go weeks if Not a month without food. Anyhow, what are the temps in the tank? Something in there is clearly irratating him. I would set up a QT with shallow water, maybe he has a "swim bladder" problem like a betta fish, when they eat something and then it adsorbs water can can make the bladder quirky. Maybe something similar is happening with his lungs and stomach?

Axolotls don't have swim bladders. It is most likely a bacterial infection needing veterinary treatment. I would call vet clinics accessible and see if any of them will look at your axolotl. Unfortunately I am not in the area so would not be able to recommend specific ones.

I am still awaiting auntie jude for a list of vets

Maybe try private messaging as that way would send a notification?

The nearest vets I can find for you are in Yorkshire:

Yorkshire (East Riding): Matthew Brash BVetMed CertZooMed MRCVS: Ark Vets, Givendale House, Great Givendale, Pocklington, York YO42 1TT. Speciality: zoo animals, parrots, wildlife. Tel: 07764 572007. Email: matt.brash@btinternet.com
Yorkshire (East Riding): Mark Naguib BVMS(Hons) CertAVP(ZM) MRCVS Battle Flatts Veterinary Clinic, Buttercrambe Road, Stamford Bridge, York, YO411AN Speciality: avian, reptilian, amphibian, exotic mammals, wildlife. 01759 371066. Fax: E-mail: office@battleflatts.co.uk Battle Flatts Vets Stamford Bridge Pocklington Strensall Norton Small animal, equine, avian, reptile and exotics vets in North Yorkshire
Yorkshire (West)
: Sarah Brown MA VetMB CertZooMed MRCVS Holly House. Veterinary Surgery 468 Street Lane, Moortown, Leeds LS17 6HA Speciality: reptiles, especially chelonia, and exotic pet mammals. Tel: 0113-2369030. Email: sarahjlbrown@hotmail.com

If you can't get to them they may be able to conference call with your local vet - my exotic vet offers the service for exotics.

Thanks for replying, thats far to far for me to travel with a poorly axie. I still have no idea whats wrong with him. He's been on his own in a tub for weeks now, always on his side or back. The past few days he's been worse, just been lying to his side a bit, really unresponsive unless his gills are touched then he moves his legs. His gills are all pointed forward, pretty much stuck to his head, he doesnt wriggle when i transfer him to clean water, he's not taking any food now, it's like he has no energy at all. Apart from his gills being forward (theyre still pink) he looks perfectly normal, i am so confused to why he's like this. I just dont know what to do to help him now :-( Any suggestions?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back