Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axie's tail keeps floating

Rune

Reaction score
My axolotl is about six months old and his tail end keeps floating up quite noticeably. In the beginning of the month I had fed him some mealworms and then changed it to red wigglers. What should I do?

CJ1981

Reaction score
Are you able to post a picture?

It sounds like your axie may be constipated or have some trapped wind. Meal worms skin can be a bit tough for them to pass sometimes.

Have you noticed if your axie is pooping ok?

In the mean time just keep feeding earthworms. Chances are the problem will resolve itself.

Rune

Reaction score
It looked like he was better for a couple of days but now he's floating on his side. One side looks like it's protruding more. I tried to feed him a worm this morning but he spit it back out along with some thick semi-translucent goop, kind of like snot. I lowered the water so that he can touch the ground and have been trying to keep the temp below 60.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1