Best foods for fattening up

SheFoxy

Reaction score
Country
United States
My oldest male Axololt doesn't like to eat earthworms unless I feed him bite sized parts and will never eat more than one worm. He doesn't keep weight on and I really want to fatten him up. He's still healthy and isn't skiny he's just not as big as my oldest female (who would eat 3 nightcrawlers if I'd let her).

I was thinking about trying mealworms as an extra treat to get him to eat more. Are there any other treats or even something else to try?

One decent sized worm for an adult axie is fine. But I would go with waxworms or live shrimp for a treat rather than mealworms. You could also try slugs (if you have a worm farm, not from your garden), or salmon pellets.

Ooouhh! Try feeder guppies :) Small mind you, an inch long or less depending on the size of your picky Lotl. They're absolutely enticing for Lotls to chase and one or two will put some fat on that perogie! ( Axolotl bellies look like perogies to me, hehe).

My guys get small guppies as a treat now and then; I've never had problems :) Any food that's rich in organ meat is ideal for Axolotls; a whole bite sized guppy is full of organs, of course!

Good luck

My go-to plumping food is usually dendrobaenas, but it seems your axxie isn't a worm fan.

Waxworms are very fatty and make good tummy-lining treats if you are looking to help him gain weight, but be sure to feed a varied diet as one too high in fats will result in illness. Another favourite I've been trying is frozen whole cockles and whole mussels from the LFS, which I defrost and chop up with scissors. They do eat them but can be picky about the sizes.

I hope this helps!

PS I have fed waxworms but feeding them made me feel sad, because they are like cute little white caterpillars (and of course they were alive when I fed them to the axxies). I also found a lot of the waxworms were spat out half-digested or weren't digested properly when they came out the other end.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back