New - Looking to Join in the Axolotl Fun!

NayNay

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

I am new to this site as well as new to the world of Axolotls. I've always seen photos of them and thought they were neat, but only recently have I seen them in person. I am greatly interested in owning one as a pet, although my only past experience is with freshwater fish, I have read that they are easy to handle.

I've been looking through many of these forums as well as other sites on how to best care for an axolotl but am having trouble actually starting the "set up" process.

I want to have a tank set up before I actually purchase an axolotl in order to be best prepared for when it arrives. What would be my best options for starting/what is the best place to get all the supplies I need.

Thanks!
Nay

Petco apparently has a $1 per gallon sale on right now - get the biggest tank you can afford, remembering that axies need 20gal for the first one and 10gal for each extra. A 40 long will easily house 3 adult axies.
You'll need either fine sand, slate or tiles for the bottom - no gravel or pebbles.
Find yourself a good breeder - there are plenty on here if you look in the 'for sale' section.
Read up on care on axolotl.org and have a read through on here, make sure you understand cycling and get that started before you get any axies.
Feel free to ask questions if you can't find the answer on your own.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back