Question: Replace gravel by...?

aegrum

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello!

This is probably a bit of a obvious question, but here's the thing: when I went to buy my axolotls in the fish store I asked the guy there whether it was safe to use gravel in my tank and he said yes.

Then of course I found out on the internet that I shouldn't be using gravel in my axolotl tank because they could possibly swallow it.

So basically I'm super afraid now and want to remove the gravel as fast as possible and was thinking about what would be the best option for my axolotls. I have two both about 10 cm long. Should I use sand or bigger rocks to put at the bottom of my tank? Which is the easiest to clean? Also, if I choose sand, won't it bury all the dirt they make?

Thanks

Hmmm,
I tried big rocks instead of gravel and all the bloodworms/waste got stuck inbetween them.
Now I use sand (I got children's play sand from Walmart and washed and strained it thoroughly)..
But tbh, have you heard of the tile flooring with texture people use at the bottom of their tanks?
It seems like such a cleaner, better alternative.

For now I would take out the gravel and just use bare bottom until you find a better solution!
Good luck. :happy:

They don't necessarily need anything at the bottom of their tank. You could just use the bare floor as a safer alternative to aquarium gravel.

Thanks! I decided to go for sand and bought some at the pet store, added a couple of rocks in there as well. They seem to be doing okay...

tumblr_o06mhfRrKU1v2151to1_500.jpg

Anyone got any advice on how to keep the sand clean though?

Looks good :). Make sure you stir the sand up regularly to prevent noxious gas building up and to clean the sand I hover a syphon just gently over the sand surface (a little above so it doesn't pick up too much sand) to collect debris on the sand. Just be careful with syphons that you don't syphon too close to your axolotls as there have been cases of axolotls being injured from getting caught in syphons. I usually just pay close attention to where my axolotls are while cleaning and try and stay away from them.

Looks good :). Make sure you stir the sand up regularly to prevent noxious gas building up and to clean the sand I hover a syphon just gently over the sand surface (a little above so it doesn't pick up too much sand) to collect debris on the sand. Just be careful with syphons that you don't syphon too close to your axolotls as there have been cases of axolotls being injured from getting caught in syphons. I usually just pay close attention to where my axolotls are while cleaning and try and stay away from them.
Great advice! Thanks a lot, will be getting myself a syphon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back