My Axies are biting one another!

Ranisimo

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Kizzy
I have been watching my two axies go about their normal feeding routine and they're acting really strange and aggressive.
They are actively going for each other when the other is near-by. This kind of biting has never happened before. Maybe once during feeding one will accidentally nip the other one when locating food after accidentally bumping into him (having poor sight must suck :p). However, that is clearly not the case today. I feed them everyday in the evening and I sit down and watch them eat and if they have finished it all, I add a little bit more until they are leaving bits behind and are full. So I doubt them being hungry is all of the sudden causing this behaviour. I am concerned about this because they seem to be stressing each other out, and luckily they seem to be too small to actually harm the other axie and are mainly nipping at each other's heads, tails and body (not legs and gills). The moment feeding has stopped and they are no longer in 'hunting' mode they stop nipping each other.

Additional Info:
Food: Small Axolotl Pellets and Earthworms. (All from Exotic Pets.co.uk)
Portions: Half a worm each (every other day) and as many small pellets they want (everyday).
Tank Size: I am unsure, but estimated above 12L. (UK)
Age: I was never told how old they were when I purchased them, but they were from the same batch and around below 4" in length. (3.5" approx but maybe less than that)
Tank Clutter: Filter and a plastic plant.
Tank Substrate: None.

Have you got hides or caves etc so that they can settle separately in their own safe space?

A 12L tank for 2 4" axies is pretty small, I suspect they are feeling overcrowded.
Get a bigger tank, try feeding separately i.e. at different end of the tank.

Have you got hides or caves etc so that they can settle separately in their own safe space?

No sadly, I did purchase a little fish cave but didn't account for how small the tank was, this Sunday I am going out to purchase a 60-70 UK Litre tank and other bits and bobs as it was recommended in another topic that I do so. So far they haven't been biting each other since, so I think they must have been on edge or something that day. I'll add to my check list that I need to get a number of hiding spots for them.

A 12L tank for 2 4" axies is pretty small, I suspect they are feeling overcrowded.
Get a bigger tank, try feeding separately i.e. at different end of the tank.

I'm going to go and buy a 60-70 UK Litre tank on Sunday so I won't have to upgrade at a later date (hopefully) and I am putting food at polar opposites of the tank from now on until they both can have a little more space for themselves.

I'll keep people posted on how I progress. Thanks! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back