Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Superficial fungus along Axolotl's body

Nienora

Reaction score
I am assuming this is fungus. All water parameters are perfect. Did a 90% water change yesterday. And rinsed out two of the four sponge filters in the tank. Torch the axolotl is 3 months old and house in a 40 gallon breeder with 5 siblings. This fungus showed up today and it's on either side of his flanks. No change in behavior; appetite is great and he's being his active, begging self. Question is, do I treat? If so, what? Is age a factor for treatment? I've posted some pictures of Torch below. Thanks for all your expertise!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 524

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one commented on this already. It doesn't look like fungus to me, but I don't know what it looks like. Has it gone away? Do you have more pictures?

Skudo09

Reaction score
Hmm I somehow missed this thread... It doesn't look like fungus to me either. I am not sure what it is. Could you post exact readings of the parameters including temperature? How did you rinse the filters? Does the white patch appear raised or fluffy like cotton wool?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Careful when doing large water changes as it removes all the ammonia from the tank resulting in the beneficial bacteria having nothing to feed on, which could crash your cycle.

Rinsing your filter out can easily wipe out your colony's of bacteria also crashing your cycle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!