Illness/Sickness: Anorexic axolotl.

Themaniac19

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just picked up an anorexic axolotl yesterday. Last night it ate about six bloodworms, but tried to spit them back up. Right now, he's floating in his tank, but he's still alive. His temps are at 18c-19c at night and 19c during the day. He's going to be getting daily water changes. Any tips on what I should do? I'll attach some pictures.

https://instagram.com/p/_5vRDNoWwq/
https://instagram.com/p/_6NyTvoW8E/

Hi
Bloodworms not very nutritious food for axy's , best off with common garden earthworms and axolotl pellets.
The tank temp could come down a degree or 2.
Are you doing full changes of water or just partial, ie. A third out then replaced with aged water?
What are nitrate, ammonia etc levels?
need to introduce food slowly to a malnourished animal, small amounts and build that up gradually as it may send them into shock.
Cheers
H

Hi
Bloodworms not very nutritious food for axy's , best off with common garden earthworms and axolotl pellets.
The tank temp could come down a degree or 2.
Are you doing full changes of water or just partial, ie. A third out then replaced with aged water?
What are nitrate, ammonia etc levels?
need to introduce food slowly to a malnourished animal, small amounts and build that up gradually as it may send them into shock.
Cheers
H

He passed away last night.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back