Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Deformed Larvae?

Elsewhere

Reaction score
Hey guys, still raising my first (and last) batch of eggs and 28 have lived and are thriving! This guy seems to have a deformed tail, though. It looks as if it's not crooked but twisted? I don't really know how to describe it. It's totally fine otherwise, eats like a pig and will make sure no one else gets his food and swims just fine unless startled, then it seems to have difficulty. I figure that people will say culling is the best option and I've been thinking of it myself, but is there anyone on here who has had a similar case where the baby turned out fine as an adult? High hopes, I know. I've already nicknamed it Hephaestus as a (poor) joke thanks to my future university studies...

Here are the best pics of it I could get:

The one on the left in this one
hephaestus2_zpslf5pded3.jpg

Upper left corned of this one
hephaestus_zps8vf2spqt.jpg

I can put the container on a lighter surface to get better pics if you think that would help.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I generally recomend culling but it doesnt seem too bad, so i suggest its raised as a pet rather than a breeder, if it gets worse or impacts its welfare euthanise it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!