URGENT my axolotl CANT eat

Caesar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sam
He is currently fridging/ salt bathing

I tried to feed him some blood worms and he grabbed the whole chunk and sure enough, they all started coming out. I took a video of him struggling for one minute to eat 3 worms, they just keep coming back up. [I'll email it to you if it helps!!]

Help, I'm worried sick :(

He is unlikely to eat whilst in the fridge. Try to keep posting in the one thread as it can become quite complicated when there are multiple threads. I don't think he needs to be in the fridge, just somewhere cool. See back in your original post about fridging.

He is unlikely to eat whilst in the fridge. Try to keep posting in the one thread as it can become quite complicated when there are multiple threads. I don't think he needs to be in the fridge, just somewhere cool. See back in your original post about fridging.

Since he has been out of the fridge and in a tub of dechlorinated water, he still cant seem to eat. He swallows but it keeps coming back out of his mouth. He is getting skinny and I am worried I assume hes only eaten one worm in the past 2 days, if any. :eek:

Actually I think he just ate 2. Maybe he is just under a lot of stress. :/

Btw, what is your opinion on beneficial bacteria to aid in fishless cycling? :ufo:

Nevermind , he is eating!! hoorah :frog:

Glad to hear he is eating. Try to offer earthworms as a staple diet as these are far better than bloodworms.

In regards to bottled bacteria, yes you can get some from most stores but personally I wouldn't bother with them and have had experience with them in the past potentially causing a false cycle (although this is without proof). Regardless, no product will cycle a tank instantly and you will still need to be patient in the meantime.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back