I need help with ID for salamanders

JeffT206

Reaction score
Country
United States
I caught 2 salamanders in my friends pool filter over the summer. They were caught in south eastern WI. a google search lead me to believe that they were tiger salamanders but now that they are getting bigger I am not so sure. Would somebody please ID hem for me? thanks.

Attachments

• sal1.jpg
    sal1.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 165
  • sal2.jpg
    sal2.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 136
Hi,

These are indeed tiger salamanders, and to be more specific eastern tiger salamanders ( Ambystoma tigrinum tigrinum ).

Seth

Thank you for the confirmation. They had started looking like spotted salamanders, but their range did not include the area that I collected them in.

Yes, Eastern tigers (Ambystoma tigrinium) ones with beautiful coloration at that. Do you have set-up pictures of their tank, and what do you feed them (I can see one of your little guys already eating some worms) Here is a care-sheet for them: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander and good luck with them! Once again, they look very beautiful!

I have been feeding them earthworms, red wigglers and sometimes meal worms or crickets. I have only seen them eat once, earthworm. They are in a 55 gallon aquarium in the basement. they have minimal light, and cooler temperatures,

Attachments

• sal3.jpg
    sal3.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 143
The setup looks good, though adding some more hides like bark and moss would be a good idea. Also, adding more substrate would be ideal. These guys love to burrow so a substrate depth of 5+ inches would be appreciated by them i am sure.
I would skip the mealworms, they are poor nutritionally. Besides that the diet is good :happy:

Okay, sounds great. You seem to have done your research before getting these guys and or gals, unlike most people who get a salamander or newt for the first time

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back