Illness/Sickness: Albino axolotl gills turned pale overnight

aegrum

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello,

When I woke up today I noticed the gills of my albino turned pale/whiteish.

I saw some topics about this before, but I can't really figure out what the exact cause could be.

Here are some pictures of how he looked yesterday and how he looks now in the hope someone can help me with this specific case:

jPxsSFt.jpg

M5tEEQp.jpg

Thanks

Have you noticed the change coincides with him being less or more active? When they are not being active, their gills tend to be more pale and they gain colour when more active due to increased blood circulation.

Have you tested your parameters including ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and temperature?

When I found him this morning he was actually really active?? During the day I watched him, and he seemed to be acting normal (not more or less active than usual).

I did a partial water change and fed him in the evening, now he seems to be doing okay again. His gills are pink again!

hgT93zt.jpg

About testing the water though... I should get myself a testing kit to prevent anything further from happening since I don't want to take any risks.

Do you have to buy a test kit for each parameter or do you have test kits which test multiple ones?

Ohhh thank you! I was already looking for some kits but that seems like a good choice.

Some light-colored axolotls will go very, very pale from time-to-time when they aren't active. It can be a very dramatic change and quite scary if you don't know what is going on.

But, yes, get a test kit and check water parameters. :)

It is most likely normal and due to activity levels and nothing to worry about but regardless, you should definitely get a liquid testing kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH as regular testing is important to ensure high water quality and to make sure your tank is fully cycled and stable.

I can only think this difference in color is predominantly in juveniles, since my girlfriends Golden Albino has never had this issue, and I've not seen it in any other larger Axolotls. But as an adult the gills are far thicker and not as transparent as a juvenile.

Now you are starting to test your water for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates, and PH, you will want to fully understand the nitrogen cycle:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back