Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Duckweed as a hiding place

JoeyEnglish

Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question as I move my two axies gradually into the new 180ltr. Still playing around with the set up; adding sand, yuck; hate sand.

Duckweed; Yay or nay?

I have three filters in the big tank which I clean out every other day. I've a "clump" of it and popped it into the baby tank with Timmy (10cm) he (possible she) climbed into it and hid. He seemed to like it. My concern is that he could get stuck.

I grow it in my nature pond for our musk turtles mainly.

Last edited:

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Three filters for one tank? I don't think that is necessary. You'd be better off with one decent canister filter which will manage that volume of water.

You shouldn't clean filters out every other day either.

Are you aware of the Nitrogen Cycle?

As far as I'm aware duckweed isn't that dense so it shouldn't be something an Axolotl can get stuck in.

Can you take some pictures?

JoeyEnglish

Reaction score
Sorry didn't explain my filters fully. One proper fluvel filter, 2 sponge filters - for the bubbles.

I'm just cleaning them out every other day while I set it up as I keep moving stuff around. No axies in there at the moment.

Thanks re the denseness, I think it took me by surprise seeing Timmy just sat in there looking at me. I'll leave it in the baby tank until the big ones set up. I'll take some photos of him hanging out in there next time I see it.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
What is it your moving about?

If you want your tank to cycle then clearing the filters out will help prevent this.

Are you aware of the Nitrogen Cycle?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
If you want bubbles then perhaps just purchase an air stone and a small pump?

Some Axolotls do not like air stones as the flow can be stressful, others like it. You could try it and if the Axolotl does not seem to be happy you can remove the air stone or break the flow of bubbles using an ornament or rock.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I tried to get duckweed going in my adult axolotl tanks ... I started with a huge handful, but the amount kept dropping. I thought it was getting sucked into the filters somehow. But then I realized that it was showing up in the axolotl poop. I never saw them deliberately eating it, but they must have been getting mouthfuls when they wen't up for air.

Having said that, the person I got the duckweed from has it in her axolotl tanks and it propagates there just fine.

W.r.t. sponge filters - I rather like them in addition to other filters. They are a great back-up and can be used to start a new tank quickly.

JoeyEnglish

Reaction score
I think I will leave the duck weed in for a while, good to hear others use it. I've attached the tank set up with sand. I swapped the sponge filters to bubble stones and have two filters also, if the duckweed stops one then the other should help. They are low powered and at each end of the tank. As you can see Timmy is very young at the moment but loves the space compared to his baby tank. Pinky will be introduced soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 567
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1