Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Gill Fungus?

Nickelless

Reaction score
I've had my little guy for around a month now an he's about 7 months old. He's had a slight gill deformity since I got him, one side of one gill always seemed absent of filaments, but the breeder did not mention any medical issue and I assumed it was benign as he's seemed relatively happy. Today however I've noticed the problem area appears to be developing a light cottony growth I believe may be fungus. The temperature in his water is low, any recommendations on what to do or how to approach this problem? I've attached photos of his gills before and after the growth became apparent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 4,947
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 911

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Fungus usually appears due to poor water quality.

Do you test your water for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and PH?

Are you aware of the Nitrogen cycle?

Sorry for the late response!

Nickelless

Reaction score
Yes I've been doing water changes and maintainence, checking levels etc. I've been giving him salt baths and it seems to be working. I believe the fungus was actually beginning to develop before he was sent to me, as even in an early photo from the breeder you can see that his gill seems to be missing filaments where the fungus developed.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Whats are your test results for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates?

If there was damage to the Fimbriae then that would explain the fungus growing on that spot.

when there is a breach in the Axolotls slime coat, or any physical damage, water quality is what usually causes the fungus.

If the fungus is minor then salt baths are not recommended since they are highly irritating to the skin. Normally you just need good water quality and then the Axolotl fights the fungus of its self. I always use a cotton bud to try and gently dislodge the ball of fungus, allowing faster healing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1