Question: Leucistic Axolotl gaining black spots, Sick?

TheCatsMeow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Three months ago I bought these two little cuties from a local pet store in Lansing Michigan. The Black one is a Wild/Leopard morph, while the white one is a Leucisitc.

About three weeks into owning them I noticed the white one began gaining little black dots on his face and head, my Leucisitic before him had those as well, which was usually just dirt or algae stuck to his face so I didn't worry about it.

One day I tried wiping it off, as I had done with my previous Axie, but the spots were on his skin. Over the course of the last two months he has gained more and more black as he gets older and bigger.

I was wondering if there could be something wrong with him? or if he is maybe a leopard leucistic mix and the patterns are showing up more as he grows? :confused:

His behavior is normal, he eats well, and is very active. :D

The first picture should be him the day I got him, the second a few weeks after, and the last is him now. (the black one is just my other Axie!)

Attachments

• IMG_6234.jpg
    IMG_6234.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 4,392
  • IMG_9263.jpg
    IMG_9263.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_5030.jpg
    IMG_5030.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 8,097
  • IMG_5032.jpg
    IMG_5032.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 817
He is fine. He is just heavily marked, and very pretty!

Okay!! Thanks Guys! I just wanted to make sure. My other Leucistic stayed completely white with beautiful pink gills, so I didn't have any experience with color changes! :D

This is Wooper, my first Axie who unfortunately passed away :(
(He loved climbing in his plants! :) )

Attachments

• IMG_3422.jpg
    IMG_3422.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_3369.jpg
    IMG_3369.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_3314.jpg
    IMG_3314.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 578
Some leucistics get dark coloring on their gills. One of the names for this is "blue gill", and there is a genetic component to it, but I haven't seen anything to indicate whether or not it is controlled by a single gene. One of our leucies has pink gills, one started developing blue gills when she was about 1 year old, and two others (and some of their siblings) were developing the coloration when they were about 4 months old.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back