Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Good Feeding Variety?

Are these products good to feed to Axolotls?

• Live Crickets!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Freeze Dried Krill!

• Sun-dried Anchovies!

• Carnivore Pellets!

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Other! (Please provide input into what I should feed them in the thread)

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheCatsMeow

Reaction score
Hello!! :p

I currently have two Axolotls, one Leucistic and one Leopard.

I recently bought them some freeze-dried krill, and sun dried anchovies.
(Pictures Below)
I just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience in feeding axolotls these brands/products?
They seem to like them but I don't know if they are entirely good for them and figured id ask for some input :)

The carnivore pellets I use as their main food dish, the krill and anchovies as a side, and every once in awhile I feed them a live cricket or two! :p :p :p

I soak both the krill and the anchovies in water before feeding, to make them nice and soft.

Any input you guys may have would be appreciated!! :D

Attachments

• IMG_5026.jpg
    IMG_5026.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_5028.jpg
    IMG_5028.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_5027.jpg
    IMG_5027.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5029.jpg
    IMG_5029.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_5033.jpg
    IMG_5033.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5030.jpg
    IMG_5030.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 630

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Earthworms are a good staple. I alternate pellets and worms. Look for Eisenia hortensis (European nightcrawlers) or Lumbricus terrestris (Canadian nightcrawlers). Canadian nightcrawlers need refrigeration - a consideration if you don't want worms in the fridge. Avoid Eisenia fetida - thay have a bad taste and many axies won't eat them.

Skudo09

Reaction score
I would avoid freeze dried products and the anchovies as these are not the best foods for them. Crickets are acceptable as an occasional treat but I would not feed them too often as their hard exoskeleton can be hard to digest and if given too often can cause constipation.

They don't really need variety as long as they have a good staple diet. Earthworms are very nutritious and make a great choice. Salmon pellets or good quality newt or axolotl pellets are also good. If you do like to offer some variety you can offer bloodworm or blackworm as good treats although these are not enough as a staple diet.

On a side note, I would suggest being mindful of the pebbles in your tank. They look like they are small enough to be swallowed and this could potentially cause a problem if your axolotl does accidentally swallow one. You would be surprised what they can fit in their mouth. It is best to have fine sand substrate or pebbles bigger than their head. Although you may find large pebbles a bit of a nuisance to keep clean with debris that can get trapped.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Always research what foods are safe and hold the best nutrition before buying it and feeding it to your Axolotl, or any pet for that matter.

As mentioned above, earth worms and pellets are usually the best. Along side the other variety's which can be fed on occasion as a treat. I use JBL Novolotl pellets: https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=products&func=detail&id=4996

Useful links:
Caudata Culture Articles - Worms
Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates

Like Skudo said, the pebbles in your tank have a risk of being ingested causing choking or impaction. Axolotls as adults are a fairly large aquatic species they can fit a lot in their mouths.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/images/articles/illness/xray_post_95633.jpg
Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Substrates

Sand or a bare bottom tank is advised. If you want to make life easier then keep bare bottom or just slate/tiles, just so you don't have to maintain the sand. You can use the pebbles you have as long as they are larger than the Axolotls head, avoiding the risk of ingestion, but you will end up with waste stuck between the rocks making it harder to maintain.

Also I think your other Axolotl is a Wildtype, leopard is not a type of Axolotl.

TheCatsMeow

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the suggestions!

I had already done enough research to know that these items would not harm the Axolotls. I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with them, If they aren't the best, I wont use them but I did ensure beforehand that they are not harmful. :angel:

Unfortunately, I have tried feeding them earth worms in the past, (canadian nightcrawlers) and it only made them constipated and their butts float.:(:(:( I had also tried wax worms, but my Axies didn't eat them. They really enjoyed the meal worms, but because of the exoskeleton issues, I only fed those very rarely, and stopped all together shortly after.:lame:

They really liked the blood worms so I'll probably pick up more of those again.
(I had a bit of a fridge/freezer malfunction and had to throw away all my worms):nono:

As far as the Substrate is concerned, I have been slowly switching out the smaller pebbles and replacing them with bigger rocks. As of right now, the small ones okay to be with my Leucistic, but not okay to be with my Leopard. Since these pictures were taken, the two have been separated (due to a bit of arm/leg nibbling that resulted in the Leucistic losing his arm :( ) But I am aware of the issues resulting from substrate swallowing, Thanks!

Also, Leopard and Wild type are the same thing. Leopard is just the name many pet stores, including the one I got my Axies from, and some breeders use to describe spotted Axies! :D

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Nearly every experience keeper on Caudata suggests earth worms and/or pellets as a staple diet. If you knew they were not harmful I would have thought you'd have read they dont hold the correct nutrition for an Axolotl. Not heard of feeding freeze dried food or anchovies. I've not heard of earth worms causing constipation.. Perhaps try cutting them into small segments? Some people feed whole worms which is not as easy to digest.

Yes don't keep a large Axolotl with a small juvenile, it never ends well.

Never heard of Wildtypes being called Leopard, at least not on the forum or in the UK.

Skudo09

Reaction score
Those foods are harmful if you are using them as a staple diet as they do not have the right nutrients that axolotls need. I would not consider these foods suitable at all even as a treat to be honest. I have never heard earthworms causing constipation and in fact have heard that they help clear constipation so I suspect there may have have been other contributing factors. If you don't want to feed earthworms, good quality newt pellets or salmon pellets are also acceptable. Bloodworm is OK as a treat as is blackworm but will not sustain your axolotl as a staple diet. Earthworms or newt pellets are far more nutritious options.

Wild type is the correct terminology and it is usually best to use this terminology so not to confuse people but a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.

TheCatsMeow

Reaction score
I have tried smaller segments, still caused them to float, but I can attempt them again.

I am fully aware of the problems with putting a juvenile in with an adult, I got the axolotls when they were each the same size. The Wild Type outgrew the Leucistic incredibly fast, and they were okay with each other until moving tanks. They are now separated.

I was only using the freeze-dried/sun-dried items them for the past 2 days, and only as a treat, the pellets are what I feed everyday as a staple; So, they haven't been harmful as I am not only feeding them these products.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1