Axolotl- so much money

Caesar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sam
Anyone,
I have spent soo much money on my axolotl that I just got. I am so overwhelmed with keeping him, I don't have a job and I have been using my grade money/birthday/christmas money all on this pet. I am in the middle of fishless cycling and my filter just broke. I dont know what to do!! My last visit to petsmart cost me $70.

I want to give him to a good home but here are my concerns:

1) Ive already spent so much money into my axolotl I wonder if I should just suck it up because what is another $30
2) I have trouble trusting that people in my area looking for "free fish!!" will take good care of my axolotl.
3) He is living in a tub of dechlorinated water because of the cycling and it seems like I can't give him away unless he's in the tank... which just brings me back to number 1.

The daily upkeep with him is really stressing me out and I don't know what to do!!! Help :nono:

Any thoughts? :(

My thoughts are that the animal's welfare should be first priority so if you cannot afford to provide the care it needs it be best for the axolotl's welfare to rehome. However it would be ideal to look for a responsible person to rehome to so you can feel comfortable that they will give it the care needed. You could maybe post in the for sale section on this forum and see if someone here could take him on.

Pets are expensive unfortunately. It is really a decision you need to make as to whether you can afford to pay for the care your axolotl needs or whether it would be best for his welfare to rehome. But it is important that you consider your axolotl's welfare in your decision.

I'm glad you are thinking of giving him up since he is causing you stress, since that might be the most responsible thing.

What is broken on your filter? What kind is it?

In a case like yours, I would recommend a sponge filter and an air pump, since both are rather cheap and very sturdy and you might be able to get an air-pump from craigs list for a very low price. But I understand if the situation is such that you don't want to change directions now.

Even if the filter is broken, beneficial bacteria are building up on the surfaces in the tank, as long as there is ammonia there. So, the cycle should not take as long as it usually would when you get a "new" filter.

What you you find particularly stressful about the daily care? I've had to keep axies in in containers outside of a filtered tank before - maybe I know some tricks to make it less stressful for you.

If you decide you need to rehome your axie, can you possibly take him back to where you got him? Alternatively, you could post in the "for sale" forum here. Also, Facebook has several active axolotl groups, and I bet you could find another axie keeper in your area who would take yours.

I'm glad you are thinking of giving him up since he is causing you stress, since that might be the most responsible thing.

What is broken on your filter? What kind is it?

In a case like yours, I would recommend a sponge filter and an air pump, since both are rather cheap and very sturdy and you might be able to get an air-pump from craigs list for a very low price. But I understand if the situation is such that you don't want to change directions now.

Even if the filter is broken, beneficial bacteria are building up on the surfaces in the tank, as long as there is ammonia there. So, the cycle should not take as long as it usually would when you get a "new" filter.

What you you find particularly stressful about the daily care? I've had to keep axies in in containers outside of a filtered tank before - maybe I know some tricks to make it less stressful for you.

If you decide you need to rehome your axie, can you possibly take him back to where you got him? Alternatively, you could post in the "for sale" forum here. Also, Facebook has several active axolotl groups, and I bet you could find another axie keeper in your area who would take yours.

Thanks for the advice! I think I am going to keep him. I just get very overwhelmed sometimes. They're a lot of work for me (but totally worth it. :happy: )

Well, the cycling still isn't dropping from 4ppm to 0ppm in 24hours. But my question is, does it have to be all the way up at 4ppm? I read other sites that only use 2ppm and since it is just my axolotl I am putting in there and not a huge stock of fish, will it be ok?

Btw, I just got a new filter today (from tetra) and I put water in it and everything, it does not work. I'll be returning it for another one. Also, it is very big and takes up a ton of space in my tiny 10gal!

My thoughts are that the animal's welfare should be first priority so if you cannot afford to provide the care it needs it be best for the axolotl's welfare to rehome. However it would be ideal to look for a responsible person to rehome to so you can feel comfortable that they will give it the care needed. You could maybe post in the for sale section on this forum and see if someone here could take him on.

Pets are expensive unfortunately. It is really a decision you need to make as to whether you can afford to pay for the care your axolotl needs or whether it would be best for his welfare to rehome. But it is important that you consider your axolotl's welfare in your decision.
Thanks for the advice!
I think his welfare will be fine once I can sort out this cycling thing. :eek:

Any suggestions on the above reply I posted?^^

One axolotl produces as much ammonia as a whole bunch of fish, so fishless cycling at 4 ppm is recommended.

Since you need to bring a filter back ... :happy: On smaller aquariums, I really like sponge filters. A good sponge filter works well, doesn't add much current, and doesn't add heat to the aquarium. I like this style http://www.amazon.com/Elite-A902-Double-Sponge-Filter/dp/B0002AQH00 for a 10 gal - you can arrange the sponges parallel to the bottom and raise them up a bit, and they become a hide-out for an axolotl. They are a bit noisy though, and you need to restrict the air flow a bit, or the water starts "blub-blub-blub"ing instead of flowing smoothly.

Good to hear you have decided to persevere :). Pets are expensive and lots of work but very rewarding and worth it.

Be patient. It will eventually cycle. It just takes time to build up the bacteria colonies. If you have access to ornaments or filter media from a cycled tank you can add, this will help speed up the process but it will still take time.

Good to hear you have decided to persevere :). Pets are expensive and lots of work but very rewarding and worth it.

Be patient. It will eventually cycle. It just takes time to build up the bacteria colonies. If you have access to ornaments or filter media from a cycled tank you can add, this will help speed up the process but it will still take time.

So I just did a pwc because the ph was high, waited 20 minutes and tested again. The ph is still the same and the nitrites are off the charts!! :eek:

One axolotl produces as much ammonia as a whole bunch of fish, so fishless cycling at 4 ppm is recommended.

Since you need to bring a filter back ... :happy: On smaller aquariums, I really like sponge filters. A good sponge filter works well, doesn't add much current, and doesn't add heat to the aquarium. I like this style http://www.amazon.com/Elite-A902-Double-Sponge-Filter/dp/B0002AQH00 for a 10 gal - you can arrange the sponges parallel to the bottom and raise them up a bit, and they become a hide-out for an axolotl. They are a bit noisy though, and you need to restrict the air flow a bit, or the water starts "blub-blub-blub"ing instead of flowing smoothly.

In addition to my last post^

I did a pwc AGAIN and the ph is still 8.2!! I used a delchorinator/ waited 40 minutes and everything ://

what the--- my pH is jumping around like crazy!

It just went from a 8.2 to a 8.0 now its like an 8.6??? :errr:

Well, fortunately, your axolotl isn't in there yet.:happy:

Do you know what the natural pH of your water is? Try checking the pH of the container your axolotl is in, if it is aerated. Or aerate a container of water for 24 hrs and then check it.

The pH can change after it comes out of the tap. My tap water usually comes out around 7.6, but rises to 8.2.

If you are adding more ammonia, that will push up the pH.

Btw, axolotls are fine in 8.2 water as long as you are careful to keep other parameters good. But you need to keep the other parameters good anyhow, right? :happy:

Meanwhile, don't worry too much about it, since your axolotl isn't in the tank. :happy:

Well, fortunately, your axolotl isn't in there yet.:happy:

Do you know what the natural pH of your water is? Try checking the pH of the container your axolotl is in, if it is aerated. Or aerate a container of water for 24 hrs and then check it.

The pH can change after it comes out of the tap. My tap water usually comes out around 7.6, but rises to 8.2.

If you are adding more ammonia, that will push up the pH.

Btw, axolotls are fine in 8.2 water as long as you are careful to keep other parameters good. But you need to keep the other parameters good anyhow, right? :happy:

Meanwhile, don't worry too much about it, since your axolotl isn't in the tank. :happy:

aerate it by putting in a bubbler? :eek: and my tank before was usually 7.4. Thanks!

It is 7.4 in his tub but It is not aerated. My aquarium is still at 8.

7.4 - must be nice ... :happy:

Don't worry about the pH for now. Just keep following the fishless cycling instructions. It is probably just the ammonia pushing it up. Once the tank is cycled and you do the really big water change to get rid of the nitrates that are building up, the pH will probably be back to 7.4, right where you want it.

(Axolotls are more sensitive to nitrates than fish, so after it is cycled, you need to do a big enough water change to get the nitrates well below 40 ppm, and then keep it below 40 ppm with regular water changes.)

7.4 - must be nice ... :happy:

Don't worry about the pH for now. Just keep following the fishless cycling instructions. It is probably just the ammonia pushing it up. Once the tank is cycled and you do the really big water change to get rid of the nitrates that are building up, the pH will probably be back to 7.4, right where you want it.

(Axolotls are more sensitive to nitrates than fish, so after it is cycled, you need to do a big enough water change to get the nitrates well below 40 ppm, and then keep it below 40 ppm with regular water changes.)

Alright so I think every time I dose it up to "4ppm" I go too high. Does this look like 4ppm or 8ppm I have the hardest time distinguishing between the two.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Hard to say. What you could do is fill the test tube 1/2 way with tank water and the other with tap (assuming your tap doesn't have ammonia) and test that. If it looks like 4 ppm, then the tank has 8. If it looks like 2, then it has 4. If it still looks like 8, well, then you have probably maxed out the color and it is way more than 8 ...

Are you measuring it as you put it in? If it is hard to measure small amounts, you could dilute it before you measure it. (Make sure you carefully mark the container with the diluted mixture if you do that, and store appropriately.)

Hang in there. I am so glad you chose to do fishless cycling - it is so much safer for your axie. :)

Hard to say. What you could do is fill the test tube 1/2 way with tank water and the other with tap (assuming your tap doesn't have ammonia) and test that. If it looks like 4 ppm, then the tank has 8. If it looks like 2, then it has 4. If it still looks like 8, well, then you have probably maxed out the color and it is way more than 8 ...

Are you measuring it as you put it in? If it is hard to measure small amounts, you could dilute it before you measure it. (Make sure you carefully mark the container with the diluted mixture if you do that, and store appropriately.)

Hang in there. I am so glad you chose to do fishless cycling - it is so much safer for your axie. :)

I followed what you said about half tap/half tank.
This is so bizarre. It must be like perfectly 6ppm or something strange. xD It looks like 2ppm on here to me though.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
:happy:

And no I don't measure it when I put it in because I dont know how much to put in. I normally do a little portion of the cap full because there is no dropper.

Also some days it starts off as .50 ppm and other days 2ppm so it's hard to judge how much to put in. And over-doing it leaves so much work to do. :p

It looks like about 3 to me, so there is probably 6 ppm.That is close enough to 4. :) So, just leave it alone.

It is good that it is dropping. The end is in sight!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back