Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl won't stop pooping!!

Hoagii

Reaction score
Ok, so I just have to ask. My 1yr old axolotl has all of a sudden started pooping A LOT. It used to be that we'd go two, sometimes almost three weeks between poops. Now she poops every. freaking. day.

It's getting hard for me to keep up with all the mess, and it seems unusual for there to be such a sudden stark change. There have been no changes in her diet. She currently eats Canadian night crawlers at ~1/2 worm every other day and sometimes doesn't even eat what's offered her (I'm sure this doesn't seem like much, but she seems to be at a healthy weight).

Is this normal? Any thoughts?

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Since Canadian nightcrawlers are so big, 1/2 every other day sounds quite reasonable. (That is how much I fed mine when they were only eating Canadian nightcrawlers.)

I can see why you are worried - I'd be too. Has anything changed about the appearance of the poop? Is it nice and firm? Is it the same color?

Hoagii

Reaction score
For the most part, the poop seems fairly firm. Usually there are a few soft flakes here and there and then a couple good solid turds (I'm sorry, that a disgusting description). Aside from being a smaller amount, it's the same as when she pooped every few weeks.

I suppose my main concern is that this could lead to malnutrition. She does not seem to have lost any weight yet, but I'm watching closely.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I'm guessing here, but cooler temperatures? (Mine haven't done this and their tank is down around 60 F right now.) Hopefully, some more experienced keepers will chime in and say "not a problem". :)

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
It's usually not so easy to tell when an Axolotl has defecated.. half the time its in an obscure place which you can not see, or it could get broken up into 'dust' when they move around the tank at speed, or, they eat it!

Everyday is a bit much though.. is that actually the case? Usually its up to a couple times a week.

Hoagii

Reaction score
I am fairly certain it is poop. She's in a bare-bottom tank with white cloth underneath, so the poop really stands out. It's usually dust by the time I get to it, but I caught her in the act last night and it was normal. It was I particularly large dump, so maybe she's done for a while. I'll see when I get home from work tonight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1