G'day from Australia!!!

SurroundUs

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My name is Crystal, I am 20 years old and I hale from the Land Down Under! :wacko:

Roughly about a month ago I purchased a Leucistic Albino Axolotl who wasn't looking so good sitting in the pet shop tank surrounded by her mean siblings who bit her entire hand off and a couple of toes.. She was overly sluggish and her gills were veeery white, so I decided to take her home!

1 week later, after much running around trying to find anything that would give her her colour back (which happened to be fish tank salts and clean water), she finally gained her pink gills! So I decided to go and buy her a little friend, who is also a Leucistic Albino Axie named G :) :love:

It is veeery difficult to keep the tank temp under 20 degrees, so I just place them into a little Gold Fish bowl and pop them into the fridge for a few hours. Max (1st axie) and G (2nd axie) absolutely love to do laps in their feeding and healing tray, which is about 5cm tall. They like to eat bloodworm blocks and axie pellets, but I am curious to allow them to try out some full live worms (which are quite hard to find in our pet shops).

Welcome to the forum!

It is hard to keep the water temperature down in hot climates, you may want to invest in a chiller to maintain a constant temperature of 18 degrees Celsius.

Are you saying your put your Axolotls in the fridge once a day for a few hours and then back in their main tank? If this is the case then the temperature fluctuation is not good for them, you will need to get your main tank cooler otherwise the constant temperature change will cause stress.

Make sure you don't use blood worm as a staple diet as they are not nutritionally complete for Axolotls, quality carnivore pellets and earth worms are the best!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back