Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl's gill bitten off?

aegrum

Reaction score
Hello,

I have two axolotls, both about 11 cm long. I have a wild one and an albino. The albino has always been the more quiet one, a tad bit smaller... the wild one scares the albino away when he wants to get the food.

Today I noticed one of the albino's gills got very short, I am assuming the wild one bit it off (one gill on the right).

3CnEukM.jpg

Will it grow back? Also, how can I prevent this from happening again? I'm so scared next time he'll go for the limbs or so.

Thanks!

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Fortunately these salamanders have amazing regenerative abilities. As far as your two go, how much bigger is the wild type? If he continues being aggressive I would strongly suggest separating them, at least until they are full size axolotls when they are less likely to be cannibalistic.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Axolotls hunt and feed by sensing movement, so unless you keep your Axolotls well fed and of a similar size accidents can happen.

The gills will grow back, make sure your water quality is correct to allow healing

aegrum

Reaction score
Okay hopefully he will recover soon.

Mhh the albino is about half a centimeter smaller than the wild one. But he has smaller legs, gills and he is thinner.

Should I try feeding him a little more so he can grow to the same size?

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Since they are still juveniles, feed them (both of them) as much as they will eat (but don;t leave leftovers in the tank.) Since one is a bit aggressive with food, feed them in different locations if you can or hand feed. What are you feeding them? Make sure you are feeding something appropriate for their age - earthworms and carnivore pellets are good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1