40 gallon breeder setup

onecrazyredhead

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael K
Since my diamond shaded tank is to tall I bought a 40 gallon breeder and started setting it up.So I am working on a planted tank first, going to put some axolotls in it way after the main part of plants are grown through. I am putting PVC pipe under the substrate so axolotls can hide and putting down mesh to keep animals from accidentally swallowing the substrate. Plumbed in lines for canister filter, 1 spray bar facing back glass to slow the water movement and the suction hose down towards bottom center. Lights are 2 Finnex Ray 2 planted LED lights and getting a T5 4 tube light because I still am worried about the amount of light. Using Riccia fluitans for bottom mesh then thinking of making a Christmas moss background? Anyone who has any ideas I would love to hear them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 424
More added pics some reason I can only post 1 at a time, may be user error?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 521
Looking at tank, just waiting for Crystal Wort to fill in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 1,614
Oh my gosh that is so bright! Are you not concerned about damaging your axolotls eyes? Even if they do have a hide, you expect them to just hide all day? I ask not to be mean but I have been wanting to plant my tank but really don't want to hurt/damage my axolotls eyes and those are two of the brightest lights on the market. Please keep in mind that they do not have eyelids and are not as intelligent as humans.

I plan on having a ton of plants, if it hurts their eyes then they can go under the plants or in to the substrate tunnels/caves? Lights do not stay on constantly. I have had axolotls before with lights and plants and they seemed pretty happy to me.

If you plan on using lights definitely get a lot of floating plants so there is a lot of shade for them! The bright lights will be really stressful.

The high lights for right now is to get plants to grow as fast as possible, I am growing Riccia thur mesh on bottom first and about to start a Christmas moss wall. Once these plants have fully grown thur I will start adding background plants and other plants with higher lighting for faster growths. After plants are where they need to be i will adjust lighting to what they need make sure all my parameters are good then start looking for a copper axolotl. It's going to be a while maybe even 6 months or more. As time sits I have guppies swimming around enjoying the bright sun, air bubbles, CO2 and Riccia as of now helping bio and plants. There are tons of plants that float to help also so if anyone has any other good ideas for this planted tank like background plants, mid ground plants, I am all ears.

Nice , pm me when the time comes .... I have coppers ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back