Sick - not eating floating around

Christie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Guys,

I had 3 Axolotls.

They got sick and had white things on them I took them to the vet and it turned out they had ankor worm.

I was treating the ankor worm with weekly baths in water with Ivermectin. This occured for 4 weeks as required. The worms seemed to disappear but there were still a few. The day we found out they had ankor worm we took everything out of the tank and did a full water dump to start fresh.

They have a chiller that keeps the tank at 18c.

The worms seemed to disappear after the 4 weeks and we stopped the medicine soon after all 3 stopped eating and one was floating around.

The one that was floating around died and a couple days before she was freaking out see video. https://youtu.be/hXZqvN5TrTY We had been doing regular water changes since the full clean and checking the conditions which were all normal. Nitrate was slightly higher than 0 but wasn't bad. It was fixed with water changes.

A couple days after she freaked out she died. We have given her to the vet to run some tests as we are worried about the other 2. They both are not eating and one of them has now started floating around like the one that died.

Please help any ideas what this is or how to help them??

Thanks,
Christie

It was cycled but we basically had to start again due to the anchor worm. We got rid of all sand plants etc. and dumped all the water to minimise the anchor worms in the tank.

I just found out that her heart ruptured and it was nothing contagious. Hopefully the other 2 improve.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back