Transitioning Axolotl from Pellets -> Earthworms ! Help!

Emberaria

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bought a beautiful pair of Axolotl from a breeder a week ago and they apparently we're eating pellets there. I unfortunately feed my Axolotl Earthworms. Problem is that these Axolotls I just got have 0 interest what-so-ever in these worms. They immediately spit them out. I really don't see why cause my Axolotls LOVE worms.

I would really love to get these guys to eat worms. Any ideas or things that have worked for you guys? I know pellets are a hell of a lot cheaper but my Axolotls never had pellets and I'm not sure how they'd take to em. And plus I don't have time to drop pellets one at a time on each of the axxies heads (I have 11 axolotls... + 30 eggs!)

Yeah I dont blame you lol...pellets are a hassle and they cloud the water and all that fun stuff. You definitely feed earthworms right? My axolotls have never rejected earthworms, only red wigglers because they have a bitter taste .

Perhaps you can "train" them that the earth worms are food by cutting them in smaller pieces and dropping them on their their noses? The instinctive snap will at least get it in their mouths.

Conventional wisdom is that axolotls (like toddlers) will eat if they get hungry enough. Conventional wisdom never raised a toddler. ;-)

Conventional wisdom is that axolotls (like toddlers) will eat if they get hungry enough. Conventional wisdom never raised a toddler. ;-)

Give them no other options and they will eat worms soon enough, they just have to realise its food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back