Making an axolotl tank have more layers and places to explore

Bengdogg

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
BigSoloFish
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has any ways or ideas of how to me better use of the space above my axolotls. I am thinking some kind of multi layered way of giving them more hiding and exploring spaces rather than just have everything on the base of thank. I know you can get floating turtle islands and similar but obviously it still need to be underwater.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Cool idea! The turtle docks are great, they have suction cups so you can put them whereever you want in your tank, I just put them all over. Also a cheap alternative is the dollar store shower shelf things. They are for holding soap and such in the shower , so they are a small plastic shelf with a suction cup. My axolotls really did use them often when I had them in the tank. :p

Thanks for the idea. I have ordered a Zoo Med Turtle log for each tank and had a re-jig of them also to make the busier and more interesting for my lotties.

I know this is a little late but I used to use a clear plastic magazine holder turned on it's side to add another layer to my tank. I put sand and another hide or fake plants on top and they seemed to like it and use it pretty often.

I have a floating log designed for turtles and my axies love it, you can also see one of them improvising with a plastic plant.

Mid clean so ignore the mess of the tank :happy:

Attachments

• IMG_5542.jpg
    IMG_5542.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 395
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back