Question: Habitat questions

GalaxyMeow

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
GalaxyMeow
Hey there!
I haven't had a chance to post here yet, but I'm Frey. I'm a teenager living in Canada!

My mom has agreed to, in a few months, get a couple of 40-50 gallon tanks. One will be for a bunch of colourful and calming fish, and one will be for axolotls. I have a few questions. I know the basic stuff already, but some things will be double-checking.

So, I know axies are kind of messy and produce a lot of waste. I also know that each axolotl should have at least 10-11 gallons, but would 4 axolotls in a 40 (Or 50) gallon be pushing it? I feel like it would be. Would 3 still be too much for a 40 gallon?

I also feel like axies have soft skin. Should I be wary about sharp ornaments? Usually resin ornaments/ hides have little bit of a sharp edge on them, and although I know axolotls can regenerate, I don't want to risk anything.

Is this sand okay to use? Would it be beneficial to the cycling process since it has extra bacteria?

Also, are reptile ornaments/ sand okay to use?

And, last question (for now), frozen bloodworm cubes (Thawed for feeding) are good, right? Those seem to be the only available things near me, and I've read they're good.

It is wonderful that you are asking all the right questions well ahead of time. :happy:

So, I know axies are kind of messy and produce a lot of waste. I also know that each axolotl should have at least 10-11 gallons, but would 4 axolotls in a 40 (Or 50) gallon be pushing it? I feel like it would be. Would 3 still be too much for a 40 gallon?
The usual rule of thumb is for N axolotls, you want (N+1) times 10 gallons. (This assumes a normal sized tank, not a "tall" one.) So 3 axolotls is OK in a 40 gal tank.

I also feel like axies have soft skin. Should I be wary about sharp ornaments? Usually resin ornaments/ hides have little bit of a sharp edge on them, and although I know axolotls can regenerate, I don't want to risk anything.
Yes! Be careful of sharp ornaments and places that could "pinch" them.

Is this sand okay to use? Would it be beneficial to the cycling process since it has extra bacteria?
That is unsuitable. It is intended for a salt-water tank, among other things. So, the bacteria would not not help. It would also raise the pH (coral sand). And there are probably a lot of other bad things about it too. You can use silica sands (they don't mess with water chemistry) that are soft (not lots of sharp edges). Children's play sand is usually safe.

Also, are reptile ornaments/ sand okay to use?
Check the sand as mentioned above. I'm not familiar with reptile ornaments, so I don't know if there are any particular dangers.

And, last question (for now), frozen bloodworm cubes (Thawed for feeding) are good, right? Those seem to be the only available things near me, and I've read they're good.
Bloodworms are not a good staple food for mature axolotls. Earth worms are, and carnivore pellets. Most keepers consider earthworms superior to pellets. Canadian night crawlers are usually available in stores as bait, and some packages even say they are safe for pets. (You do not want any extra chemicals added to the worms) They are pretty big (and need chopping). European night crawlers are usually available too. Avoid red wigglers (Eisenia fetida) - they have a nasty smell and taste, and some axolotls will not eat them.

You will also need to read about cycling your tank, specifically, "fishless cycling". It will greatly improve the quality of life for your new axolotls and fish. Here is one link: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

==> Very important info about cycling your tank: You can't rush it. The beneficial bacteria reproduce slowly, not like the "double very 20 minutes" bacteria that spoil food.

It is wonderful that you are asking all the right questions well ahead of time. :happy:

The usual rule of thumb is for N axolotls, you want (N+1) times 10 gallons. (This assumes a normal sized tank, not a "tall" one.) So 3 axolotls is OK in a 40 gal tank.

Yes! Be careful of sharp ornaments and places that could "pinch" them.

That is unsuitable. It is intended for a salt-water tank, among other things. So, the bacteria would not not help. It would also raise the pH (coral sand). And there are probably a lot of other bad things about it too. You can use silica sands (they don't mess with water chemistry) that are soft (not lots of sharp edges). Children's play sand is usually safe.

Check the sand as mentioned above. I'm not familiar with reptile ornaments, so I don't know if there are any particular dangers.

Bloodworms are not a good staple food for mature axolotls. Earth worms are, and carnivore pellets. Most keepers consider earthworms superior to pellets. Canadian night crawlers are usually available in stores as bait, and some packages even say they are safe for pets. (You do not want any extra chemicals added to the worms) They are pretty big (and need chopping). European night crawlers are usually available too. Avoid red wigglers (Eisenia fetida) - they have a nasty smell and taste, and some axolotls will not eat them.

You will also need to read about cycling your tank, specifically, "fishless cycling". It will greatly improve the quality of life for your new axolotls and fish. Here is one link: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

==> Very important info about cycling your tank: You can't rush it. The beneficial bacteria reproduce slowly, not like the "double very 20 minutes" bacteria that spoil food.

Thank you!

Where would the best place to get earthworms be? I'm afraid that I'll go to somewhere like a bait store and they will have diseases and other things. I've heard quite a bit about the dangers of diseases/ other bad things (Not too sure exactly what) that axolotls or reptiles have contracted and been killed by. Any advice for... All of that? :p

Also, I already know about fishless cycling :) I'll look into that, though, just incase I've missed something.

Yes, bait shop earthworms may carry disease so your best bet is a pet shop, or you can purchase them online. I am in the process of starting my own earthworm farm, as I have had such great luck with my mealworm farm ( mealworms are for my leopard gecko ) , but currently when I am out of earthworms I just get them at Petsmart. They are about $4.00 for a dozen I believe. You have to ask for them, as they keep them refrigerated in a back room, just ask for Nightcrawlers and they should carry them! Petco sometimes has them as well :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back