Alpine Newt Efts

Joshuats99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
I'm new here and relatively new to keeping Caudata. I've kept slimy salamanders, a cave salamander, a red backed salamander, and I raised an eastern newt larva to adult but ended up giving him to a friend. Anyway, I ordered three Alpine Newt Efts and they'll be arriving on Tuesday. I've done plenty of research and I'm just really nervous and excited so I wanted to get some opinions here. Especially seeing as I couldn't find anything on alpine newt efts specifically(other than a paragraph in Reptiles magazine), has anyone raised these efts and would you recommend going the paper towel and simple hide route or the more somewhat natural route. I've already made a setup with primarily cocofiber and some sphagnum moss with some dead leaves on top, based off of this post: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...mus-taricha/86619-caring-very-small-efts.html
Should I change that and make it dirt like in the post? And I know his post is for a very different group of newts, that's why I didn't use dirt. And after all this, they'll probably be fine. The seller tells me they're already eating so I figure I'll get them to eat fine as well. Thanks in advance.
(P.S. I found out about the new ban right after ordering them. I'm going to do everything I can to help get it changed, but I'll still be getting them just in time.)

Thank you, I had already seen that but hadn't clicked on the substrate link. Now I know to take out that sphagnum moss! Thanks again.

I've raised loads of alpines in the last couple of years, they are very hardy but you must have appropriate sized food which generally means you have to raise it yourself, springtails, white worm ,fruit fly and fruitfly maggots are the main foods I culture. I give my efts 24\7 food availability and actually encourage live food to culture itself in the tank by leaving bits of fruit in there and burying oats which the whiteworm eat. These guys benefit from a hands off approach, you don't need to disturb them like the link suggested, just check , feed and mist a couple times per week.

I've raised loads of alpines in the last couple of years, they are very hardy but you must have appropriate sized food which generally means you have to raise it yourself, springtails, white worm ,fruit fly and fruitfly maggots are the main foods I culture. I give my efts 24\7 food availability and actually encourage live food to culture itself in the tank by leaving bits of fruit in there and burying oats which the whiteworm eat. These guys benefit from a hands off approach, you don't need to disturb them like the link suggested, just check , feed and mist a couple times per week.
Thank you so much. I have lots of food available even without my various cultures, as I have three trustworthy fish stores within a short drive and all have any food you'd feed fish and then some. But you may have just saved my efts by telling me to go the hands-off route. Thanks again.

The species in the link is different to alpines, basic care is similar but alpines do fine with benign neglect, i raised a bunch last year in a tub outside, just dumped daphnia in with them a couple times a week, they are now in my shed terrestrial and get looked at on thursdays and sundays, glad I saw the link though I'm waiting for Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens eggs atm

The species in the link is different to alpines, basic care is similar but alpines do fine with benign neglect, i raised a bunch last year in a tub outside, just dumped daphnia in with them a couple times a week, they are now in my shed terrestrial and get looked at on thursdays and sundays, glad I saw the link though I'm waiting for nopthalmus eggs atm

Yeah, that's why I was unsure enough to ask. Should my coco fiber and bark/dead leaves be good? I don't know of any problems I could have there but I'll ask an expert since I have the chance. Thanks.

P.S. Good luck with the nopthalmus!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back