Ease of care

pswuid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Everyone says that fire bellied newts are one of the easiest to take care of. How much trickier is it to take care of other newts? What is the next tier of newt?

Thanks

By "Ease of care" Fire-bellies are pretty easy, it's only a matter of finding some that are CB, and not WC, unlike most sick H.orientalis in the trade. They're about to be very difficult and valuable though, as this ban will make it hard to get any, unless they're in your state. I'd recommend getting some Triturus species before the ban is enforced. (Which is on the 28th, so better act quick!) According to people who keep them, they're typically healthy, CB, and are good captives. Here are their care-sheets: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Crested Triturus species Caudata Culture Species Entry - Triturus marmoratus Caudata Culture Species Entry - Lissotriton (Triturus) boscai and Caudata Culture Species Entry - Mesotriton (Triturus) alpestris And I know these aren't true Triturus per say, but they are European newts just the same. Pleurodeles waltl is an easy species too, here's it's care-sheet: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Pleurodeles waltl

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back