Pellet Mash for Hatchlings?

Klakasharkie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Karleigh
I got a surprise clutch of eggs, and as a result I had no time to culture the live food needed (this is also my first batch of hatchlings)... I know that they are normally only responsive to live food, but I have also heard someone say that "pellet mash" works, where you grind up lotl pellets and mix with water. I tried it today, and it seems like a good portion was eaten! ... Has anyone even tried pellet mash? Could it work? These hatchlings hatched over last night, so they're fresh out the egg basically. I'm hoping to raise them until theyre old enough to ship, or I'm gonna check with the science teachers at my local high school and see if they're somewhat interested in having them as a class project (with my supervision and care of course. I'm already attached to the buggers.)

They won't eat for up to 48 hours after hatching as they are absorbing their yolk sack. Haven't heard of anybody using pellet mash with any great success. Your best option would be to put the hatchlings in the fridge to slow down their metabolic rate till you can source and hatch brine shrimp eggs.

I agree with the bbs (of course) if you can get them quickly.

Once in a pinch I siphoned out the mulm at the bottom of a tank, let it settle in a tall container, and sucked the "water with little swimming things" out for the babies, but that only works if you only have a few.

Check with your school, also, The bio classes at my daughter's school have daphnia to feed to hydra so they can see how the hydra's digestive system works. So they may have or know where to get daphnia in a hurry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back