Bulging eye/s, possible metamorphosis?

jett862

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning, I'm reaching out to you guys because I'm worried that my 1.5 yr old axolotl is either sick or metamorphosing.

Several days ago I noticed that ONE of my axolotls' eyes was swollen/had a film on it, and would "move" when he took a breath. I performed a water change and monitored his health closely, resolving to post here/and possibly fridge him after 48 hours -- unfortunately, it looks like he might be metamorphosing. His gills appears to have shrunk in size, his head is bigger/rounder than I recall, and both eyes appears to have a slight bulge (picture attached).

Looking at the picture, does this look like a normal part of an axolotl growing up, or is it something else?

I've changed two things in the tank recently: I introduced three nerite snails, though I did quarantine them for 72 hours performing two water changes each day in their isolation tank. Additionally, I switched the brand of blood worms I feed them (from "omega one" to "fish gum drops").

As an additional question, can I buy salmon pellets somewhere online? I alternate feeding frozen brine shrimp and blood worms, as I can't consistently find earth worms for sale here.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20160127_073645.jpg
    20160127_073645.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 765
Some more pictures would help with the question "is my axolotl metamorphing?". A side shot would help, for one.

Michael Shrom has salmon pellets for sale in the "For sale" forum, or google "Hikari sinking carnivore pellets". (Sometimes you can find them at local fish stores too.) Micheals's fall apart faster (but not excessively fast) in the water, but the Hikari ones smell up the room if they don't get eaten immediately.

Thanks Laura, I'll take more photos when I get home after work today.

I didn't realize the hikari pellets worked, I'll be sure to pick those up today. As far as earthworms go, I've historically only fed the ones I could catch myself away from residential areas, but I know Dick's and Walmart carry them -- are these safe? I've always been worried about introducing pesticides into the water.

Thanks again.

I have purchased earthworms from Walmart with no issue :) Alternatively, Petsmart sells them labled as nightcrawlers. Just ask someone in the fish department for a box of them! Definitely do not continue to collect them from outside. This is a bad idea as they could be carrying diseases and parasites which they can then pass on to your axolotl.

Your axies isn't showing any other sign of morphing - receding gills, thicker legs, loss of dorsal fin.
If the head is bulging unevenly it may be an abscess - which you will need to see a vet for.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the continued advice, I'm thinking I must have had an ammonia spike recently, water parameters are as follows:

PH 7.0, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 0ppm, Ammonia between 0 and .25 (but not totally zero) -- what's an appropriate water change?

I'm most concerned about what appears to be his diminished gill antlers/gill stem and his glossy/bulging eyes -- they normally sit flush with his body. Not sure it's an abscess as it's affecting both eyes.

I've attached two pictures that I think support the idea he's not in fact morphing, but he has some other problem. I've also picked up some worms for Lowe's, so I'll be able to ease my way into feeding those and potentially setting up a wormery.

Regards,

Justin

Attachments

• 20160127_174312.jpg
    20160127_174312.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 381
  • 20160127_180703.jpg
    20160127_180703.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 494
I don't know enough to comment on the eyes, but the gill stalks look fine to me. I noticed that my axies gill stalks got smaller (or seemed to) as they reached adulthood, and in general, stalk length and gill filaments are longer/lusher when the water has less oxygen.

Also, I am convinced that axolotls with long, full gills are over-represented in the pictures on-line. I think yours has fairly typical gills. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Just as a followup, should I treat this as if it were a fungal infection? The white film over the eyes is bothering me and I don't want to let it fester.

If so, am I better suited with an antibiotic or salt baths/both.

The white film may be scarring from ammonia, check your water parameters

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back