Sick or stressed

RoxyRose

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
RoxyRose
My axolotl was good yesterday. but today his gills are curled forward, he has no energy,and he's shedding a lot. its not the water i just changed the water and the levels are good.

i did not know what to do. please help?

Hello yes this is definitely not normal! Even though you say your tank parameters are in good standing could you please post them here? Ammonia, nitrates, etc. What is the axolotl being kept in?Also does your little guy live alone or are there other tank inhabitants? What type of filter are you using, and what is the current temperature in tank?

I keep him in this tank 3 gallon 360 aquarium . but right now he's in a 1/2 Gallon tank with nothing in but water in it. he lives alone. and the tank has no filter just an air stone.

the levels are at
Ph: 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

I think he maybe getting worse.

Attachments

• IMG_1623.jpg
    IMG_1623.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1624.jpg
    IMG_1624.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 164
Did you get a water temperature to post? He definitely looks like he is in bad shape at the moment. I would keep him in cool , clean, dechlorinated water . Im assuming you do dechorinate the tank water with water conditioner regularly? Also , what has the diet been? Also maybe add some plants and a hide or two so that he or she feels more safe/not exposed. Also if the regular habitat for this little one is a 3 gallon , definitely upgrade asap. The minimum tank requirement for an axolotl is 15-20 gallons . I hope this cutie pulls through :( trying to help you pinpoint the cause here, it would be helpful if you could answer those questions . Hang in there buddy.

回复: Sick or stressed

The temperature is 18C he's in a 3 gallon because he's so small. he has a plant in the tank to hide in. but now he has no energy sum times he will swim up to get air he will float down and fall on his side.

Yes , that certainly does not sound good. Definitely change the water every day in a tank that size, and definitely get yourself a good filter. Temperature and parameters seem fine,
what has the axolotl been fed?
Do you use tap water conditioner?

These two questions are of great importance and may help us solve the cause of the issue. In the meantime I would advise to just keep him clean, cool, and in a quiet, dim place.

frozen bloodworms yes I use tap water conditioner

I think he maybe dying. he just keeps getting worse.

For a juvenile axolotl bloodworms are fine so I see no issue there , and no issue with your water quality currently. Your temperature is perfect, so this is troubling :( anyone else want to weigh in here? My last advice would be to fridge the poor little guy in a tupperware of clean h20 but I am not sure it would help this situation.

he died and I have no idea why.

Very sorry to hear that :( ...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Did the 3 gallon he was originally in have a filter and were your water parameters from a strip or liquid test?

I'm very sorry to hear that. He looks pretty young to me; I wonder if maybe he was just too young and died of natural causes. Please bear in mind that I am no expert at all! I just am speculating as I have gotten to watch (and occasionally help) an axolotl breeder and their assistant care for a single clutch in the past, as well as raised a couple young frogs myself (with their help); but, iirc, there's certain die off rates that happen even with impeccable conditions and care. That's part of why breeders tend to wait to sell them after various ages, although I don't know what that age range tends to be. It seems that, with amphibians, not all of those that hatch make it, even without predators and in perfect consitions, which is probably part of why they have so many babies in a clutch.

I'm sorry for your loss. Again, there may be something that I am missing or am incorrect on, but I'd think that this may have just been one of those things that happens, and there wasn't anything you could do.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back