Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: New to Axolotls. Made a misinformed decision and need some input.

KoffeeBean

Reaction score
I have recently acquired two juvenile axolotls (they are 5in - 6in long, nose to tail tip). I've had a bit of a bumpy start, which I planned on describing in this post but felt it was too long and possibly inappropriate for a thread in this category. I decided to post it into a blog on this website instead, if you'd like to take the time to read it, it might help describe a bit of my predicament, why I am where I am, etc.
Link: http://www.caudata.org/forum/blogs/koffeebean/1470-initially-misinformed-rant.html
Please let me know if posting a link like this is unacceptable. Anyway, on to the questions.

I had to actually move my tank to another, more appropriate location. As I was misinformed about cycling, and have only had them for a few days, I decided to completely restart so that I could add some fine sand to the bottom of my tank. I assumed it would be highly unsafe to add sand with my axolotls in the tank so I put them in some tupperware with dechlorinated water and got to work. I thoroughly rinsed my fine riverbed sand with clean water and dumped it into my empty tank (20 gal, long). I then filled my tank with fresh water. I knew that the sand was going to need a while to settle and expected it to take a few hours. I added my hides (2), live plant, fake plant and a few large stones I bought at the pet store. I left out my bubble bar and filter, planning to add them when the water cleared up. For the same reason, I have not yet added dechlorinator or tested my water. That was last night around 11pm, it is now 8pm and my water is still murky to the point where I can't even see the hides I placed toward the back of the tank. I can add photos if that helps. How long does this typically last? Is it possible I didn't rinse my sand well enough? If so, what are some solutions?

How long can I safely keep my axolotls in tupperware? Obviously, I'd like to put them in the tank as soon as possible, but not until it is safe (or as safe as it can be without an established cycle; I know now that I royally screwed this up but don't really have another option at this point). I am going to do a 100% water change (or less, if recommended, please let me know) for the water in the tupperware when I'm finished with this post.

I realize I made a mistake but would like input on how to correct it so that I can keep moving forward toward healthy and happy axolotls.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
As screw-ups go, this is pretty minor. :happy:

You can keep the axolotls in the tupperware a long time, as long as you are changing water often enough. For example, if they are each in about 1 gal of water, change all of the water twice a day. (That is just a guestimate - you can check the ammonia in their water and see if you can get away with once a day.) And of course, take any uneaten food out immediately. (Perhaps feed, then do the next water change.)

Sand can do that. You aren't the first to have that problem - it has happened to me too. I recommend changing as much water as you can, then getting everything running in the tank (add dechlorinator, start filter, etc.) Once the bacteria start building up, it seems to give the extra dust something to stick to, and the problem goes away.

KoffeeBean

Reaction score
Thank you Laura, this has helped to ease my mind. :happy:

My container is definitely not a gallon so I will start doing twice daily changes for them. I have been keeping them both in the same tupperware, maybe I will separate them and put them into larger containers to keep down ammonia levels and waste. I did exactly that with their feeding last night and am happy to hear it was a good decision!

I added some dechlorinator about half an hour ago and I feel like it has already made a difference, great suggestion! I will also try what you said about the water. My filter is brand new, out of the box, with absolutely no bacteria build up; do you think it will still be helpful? I'm going to add it regardless.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me some pointers, I really appreciate it!
I'll post a picture of everything when it is running clean and good to go.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
What kind of filter? Some will definitely help with the cloudiness, and you will need the filter up and going sooner-or-later anyhow. This way you can make sure it works. :happy:

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
You may have just needed to rinse the sand more thoroughly. Since you haven't started cycling yet I would take all the water and sand out then rinse again. You could just do more water changes, but it may not clean the sand efficiently. It really depends on how dirty it is.

I always put new sand into a pillow case, then run water through it (I use a hose) mixing the sand as you go, until the water draining from the bottom of the pillow case runs clear. Took me around 30mins to get my sand to run crystal clear.

Always add dechlorinator to water before it is put in the tank. I add the dechlorinator to the bucket then fill with water so it is mixed well.

For information on Axolotl care, read these websites thoroughly:

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1