Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Ongoing problems with my Axy

SlimyFishPuppys

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I've been having problems with Toothless, my wildtype Axy.
About 10 days ago, he was floating, so I took him out of the tank and fridged him. After a few days, he was fine, so I popped him back into his tank. (Read popped as properly acclimatised him to the water temperature.)
Then after a day or so, he began floating again. So he was refridged. This problem only lasted a day, so back into the tank he goes.
Then the next day, I spot he has gill rot forming. So back in the fridge with methalyne blue. As far as I can see, I've done everything ok so far (barring the fact I was stressing him out with temp changes, but I'll get back to that.)

When I go to change his water on the third day, he has pooped EVERYWHERE and there is a great deal of blood and some very small bloody pulp of something in the water. I change his water, and rush him to the vet. She checks him over and here are some of the things she has told me that I didn't know (and are worth knowing).
1. If its a floating issue, you can fridge them, but its better to put a container in the tank so that they can stand and sort themselves out.
2. Methylane Blue and other antibacterial treatments can really run down an Axy's immue system.
3. The blood didn't come from his mouth, and he probably had a very large and painful bowel movement. (There has been no blood since, so I think she was right on that count).
So, due to the stress of the vet and the drive, I left him in the fridge for a day more, before putting him back in his tank. He is dreadfully skinny, due to not wanting to eat when he was feeling yucky, but we've been feeding him this and that, and he's slowly starting to feel better.
But this morning I checked on him, and the poor bugger is floating again! So he's now sulking in a container in his tank, as I'm not going to be fridging him anymore unless I absolutely need to.

Has anyone else had these problems so close together, and what foods do you recommend to fatten him up? Also, should I be feeding him if he is floating, as this might exacerbate the problem.

I've had Axy's for about two years, but it's been nothing but stress, so when Toothless swims off to the fishtank in the sky (I think he and I are both aiming for death by old age, but I sometimes wonder if he's on board) I think that'll be it for me Axy wise. Although I have no willpower and I love them so much. :dizzy:

Charlotl

Reaction score
Goodness this poor thing has had some problems. Good thing he has an owner willing to help! Regardless if he is floating or not he needs to eat eventually. For the food I would go with earth worms cut into chunks. I have had good experiences with Canadian nightcrawlers but I'm not sure what is available around your area. Worms provide proper nutrition for an axolotl and are squishy so hopefully easy on his digestive system since he has been having trouble. Cutting into small chunks might help with ease of eating as well. Good luck to you both!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1