My melanoid is turning green?

Waenara

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I just bought these little guys and my leucistic is slowly getting these dark tiny spots. My melanoid is also turning green around the face. Any ideas?
cf1b9cb6c9049164b783f04f5fd383b4.jpg
3d9a642850db3b5d74993985bb6ff1c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dark spots are normal on leucistics. Sometimes they came and go, sometimes they stay.

Green - pretty. Is it a gfp? Some people like the "green" coloring, but I haven't seen it that green before.

Thanks, it's getting brighter green everyday, so I don't know if I should be worried or not.

I am pretty sure that you have a lovely axolotl and it is nothing to worry about. :happy:

Here's some better pictures.
5ad128c8f77a8e868b0d2156282579d8.jpg
75376d577604a2a920ac3bb3b3293ec8.jpg

His name is Severus so the colour is really working for him.

Thanks Suzuki and no it's not a gfp as Far as I know

Here is an updated picture of my babe!

d36d139597c9c560a0909112471e0308.jpg

Melanoid just means that they don't produce iridophores. They still produce yellow xanthophores and dark melanophores, hence his black/yellow-green appearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to add that leucism just means that it doesn't produce certain pigments. Most "leucistic axolotls" are actually axanthic albinos, which means that they only ever produce a few melanophores.

Nope. Most leucistics are not axanthic axolotls. Most leucies have pigments associated with wild type, golden albino, or melanoid. The leucistic gene just keeps the pigmented cells from migrating to where they usually belong. (Leucistic + golden albino is one of the combinations that leads to "white" albino.)

wow, the people on this forum sure are petty. you're going to edit my post and make some snide remark about capitalization? is there a style guide to this forum that i need to read up on? am i allowed to start commenting on erroneous punctuation and usage too? grow up.

to be fair, axanthic albino and leucistic are nearly identical. the term leucistic seems to be widely misappropriated in the pet trade.

to be fair, axanthic albino and leucistic are nearly identical. the term leucistic seems to be widely misappropriated in the pet trade.

No, axanthic and leucistic are completely different mechanisms. Axanthic means an animal cannot produce xanthaphores. Leucistic means that the animal produces pigment, but the pigments don't migrate very far from the neural crest.

If you really want to argue the point all white albinos are hard to tell apart.
Axthanthics do not produce xanthaphores and iridophores.
Melanoids do not produce iridophores and a very few xanthaphores.
Leucisitcs produce pigment, but the pattern is restricted.
All of these in combination with albino genes produce animals that are very similar, the main difference being iridophore rings around the eyes of leucisitc albinos.

wow, the people on this forum sure are petty. you're going to edit my post and make some snide remark about capitalization? is there a style guide to this forum that i need to read up on? am i allowed to start commenting on erroneous punctuation and usage too? grow up.
If you don't like it here feel free to leave.

And here I was just trying to show off my axie. XD

No, axanthic and leucistic are completely different mechanisms. Axanthic means an animal cannot produce xanthaphores. Leucistic means that the animal produces pigment, but the pigments don't migrate very far from the neural crest.

If you really want to argue the point all white albinos are hard to tell apart.
Axthanthics do not produce xanthaphores and iridophores.
Melanoids do not produce iridophores and a very few xanthaphores.
Leucisitcs produce pigment, but the pattern is restricted.
All of these in combination with albino genes produce animals that are very similar, the main difference being iridophore rings around the eyes of leucisitc albinos.

If you don't like it here feel free to leave.

yeah if you actually read my first post i said that about melanoids.

and if everyone here is a whiny pseudo-intellectual who clings to proper capitalization to seem smart, and gangs up on newcomers who present ideas different than their own, then yeah i'm going to take my things and go.

Thanks guys. She's pretty neat looking I'll post another one when it's grown. :)

Here is an update on my leucistic who had specs on his face

When I first made the post
9c30b8c9fc0cac00639928616ac0cb42.jpg

Now
01922f09d0d5870c0f3719d82f55077d.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back