Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Are this white spot normal?

Pameqzz

Reaction score
I want to know if this white spots in my axie are normal, and if is not what can i do to heal him? Please help me... Thanks you very much.
Greetings from Chile

IMG_8926.jpg

IMG_8932.jpg

IMG_8948.jpg

NaterPotater

Reaction score
Did you just get him? Some of them look like normal coloration for a wild type axolotl (mine has a few light tan spots), but some of them, especially on and near the limbs, look a little bit suspicious.

Pameqzz

Reaction score
Did you just get him? Some of them look like normal coloration for a wild type axolotl (mine has a few light tan spots), but some of them, especially on and near the limbs, look a little bit suspicious.
No, when i get him 5 month ago, he was smaller and did not have those white spot :(

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Hopefully, it isn't something "bad". Some axolotls lose pigment (vitiligo), and I don't believe that is harmful in itself.

Does the skin where the spots are look different (other than color) from the surrounding skin?

Pameqzz

Reaction score
Hopefully, it isn't something "bad". Some axolotls lose pigment (vitiligo), and I don't believe that is harmful in itself.

Does the skin where the spots are look different (other than color) from the surrounding skin?

mmm i can not see it carefully, but at first sight its look only withe. Maybe in some spots it looks as if the spot was on top of the skin, i dont know if i explain myself?
So if it is vitiligo he will continue fading? and its not dangerous?
Thanks you very much

LSuzuki

Reaction score
If it is vitiligo, it isn't dangerous. I don't know if it always progresses or if it might just stay the way it is.

If doesn't look like the pictures I've seen of vitiligo, but it doesn't look like the pictures I've seen of illnesses either.

Keep taking pictures every week and see how it changes. Maybe how it changes (or doesn't change) will give people a clue.

If he seems healthy otherwise, just continue to take good care of him and try not to worry. If he has any other symptoms, then post them too.

Pameqzz

Reaction score
If it is vitiligo, it isn't dangerous. I don't know if it always progresses or if it might just stay the way it is.

If doesn't look like the pictures I've seen of vitiligo, but it doesn't look like the pictures I've seen of illnesses either.

Keep taking pictures every week and see how it changes. Maybe how it changes (or doesn't change) will give people a clue.

If he seems healthy otherwise, just continue to take good care of him and try not to worry. If he has any other symptoms, then post them too.

Thanks you so much Laura, I will do it. For the moment he looks healthy, eat well and have a lot of energy. But i'll be watching.
Thanks you again :)

E

Elise

He looks perfectly healthy and I would attribute your spots to normal iridophores.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
If you're not sure, try shining a torch on the spots - try focusing on the spots as much as you can; axxies don't like bright lights. If they are shiny, flat and a gold colour, they're likely iridophores and are completely harmless and natural.

The white spots on the face are likely to be either a) discolouration due to contact with tank bacteria and harmless, b) natural colouring and harmless or c) bacterial, but I would think they are likely harmless. Keep an eye on them as suggested, but they seem normal to me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!